Centrepiece fish for a 12 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shubunkin01

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was thinking about my stocking list that I hope to get soon, and I realised that I wanted a larger fish or two to go with my other selections.

So far I would get

3 guppies
3-4 Panda Cories

Can anyone think of a suitable, peacefulfish or two to go with these? It would be a 12 gallon planted tank.

Thanks
Shubunkin01

Shubunkin01 said:
I was thinking about gouramis, bit I found this on the internet:

with some of the surface covered with floating plants

Is this necessary?will they be happier if I got some floating plants?

Thanks
Shubunkin01
happier? maybe
necessary? no

well, i would recommend one because two males with fight and a male and a female will become territorial while spawning, and they will most likely spawn. If you must get two, i would go a male and feamle pair or even better two females(which are not as colourful)

Your best bet would be one dwarf gourami, male because they are more attractive.

WaterPond said:
one dwarf gourami or a peaceful dwarf cichlid such as an apisto or ram(can be tricky).

i really dont encourage rams being put in a tank smaller than 20g. like jason said, they are tricky, costly, and dont live too long, even with optimal water conditions (like 2 years)

Thanks tropicfishman...

hc, I wasn't thinking of getting a ram, I had heard that they are difficult to keep happpy. I prefer Gouramis.

I'm leaning toward Gouramis, unless there are any other ideas?

Thanks
Shubunkin01

Have you thought about a paradise gourami? They are so pretty IMO. It just seems like I've read a lot of posts where people have trouble keeping dwarf gouramis alive, even with great water perams (colisa lalia, anyway). Paradise gouramis are easy to keep and very colorful.

Back
Top Bottom