clown loaches in a 50 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DeirdreHoyle

Aquarium Advice FINatic
One of the people at my lfs said her sister kept 4 clown loaches in a 50 gallon tank and they lived for 14 years...is this possible?! Everything I've read tells me this is crazy...

I'd never say that's impossible but I'd say the odds of it are closing to 0% than they are to 1%.

Severely stunted fish can survive for years but 14 sounds like a misunderstanding. Maybe she replaced the fish with more of the same periodically and it appeared she had four clowns for the whole time she kept a tank...

There are many smaller loach species better suited to a tank of that size and I really wish they'd stop selling clowns.

Yeah I bought some at the store and then read about them, gave them to my mom (she has a 100 gallon tank) and then I asked about them the next time I was in the store. That's when the woman told me that story.

Deirdre what fish store do you go to in OR? I live in the Portland area. The most frequent store I go to I don't really think that all of the employees know all that much!

Deirdre what fish store do you go to in OR? I live in the Portland area. The most frequent store I go to I don't really think that all of the employees know all that much!

I live in NW Portland! I have been going to the Tropical Hut on Division and I really don't think they know that much either lol but I just discovered a place called the Wet Spot on NE Sandy. That place is amazing! And they had a big sign explaining why goldfish can't be kept in a fish bowl, so I was impressed :) Where do you go?

I live in the Beaverton area so I go to "World of Wet Pets" most often, but when I have the time I go to The Wet Spot because that place is amaaaaaazing! They have such a huge selection. I get all my plants there because they have such great variety.

Except their dwarf cories gave my tank columnaris =( It would be nice if they had told me that "oh they are in quarantine, you can come back and buy them in a few days" actually meant that they were sick (and didn't get better before I bought them). Here I just assumed they were new and not available for sale yet - in a waiting period. So I like them quite a lot less after half my tank died.

I still like them though. Their store is the envy of the whole west coast, by the way!

I live in the Beaverton area so I go to "World of Wet Pets" most often, but when I have the time I go to The Wet Spot because that place is amaaaaaazing! They have such a huge selection. I get all my plants there because they have such great variety.

Except their dwarf cories gave my tank columnaris =( It would be nice if they had told me that "oh they are in quarantine, you can come back and buy them in a few days" actually meant that they were sick (and didn't get better before I bought them). Here I just assumed they were new and not available for sale yet - in a waiting period. So I like them quite a lot less after half my tank died.

I still like them though. Their store is the envy of the whole west coast, by the way!

Yeah I was really impressed with the wet spot, I read they have the largest cichlid selection in north america! I'm sorry your fish got sick, that's too bad. It's something all too familiar to the fish keeper :/

Yes, I have a quarantine tank now after that particular incident =|

I need to make it over there to them next weekend, I need some new plants!

Sorry I derailed your topic, I was just so curious where you shop!

Back
Top Bottom