"Community" cichlids?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smallfry53

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey everyone. I am currently in the process of cycling my 29gal. For the last month or so I have been trying to figure out what community fish I want to add. I was thinking about getting a BN or clown pleco and some danios. My GF likes black phantom tetras, so that's also a possibility.

But anyway, I really like the bright colors and beauty of some of the cichlids. I was thinking of getting one, or maybe two as (a) centerpiece fish. I know that some of them are fairly non-aggressive besides when mating and whatnot, so I was wondering if it would be possible to get one that wouldn't eat community fish I would have with it? I'm not sure that a 29gal. is even big enough? Or would I be better off trying to find a gourami or something?

Any thoughts and/or opinions are appreciated :thanks:

So I just discovered the LDA25 "pitbull pleco". Since I have a smaller tank I'm thinking I might be able to get like 3 of these guys instead of 1 BN. From what I have read it seems like they are more active too.

So I'm wondering if maybe that was a stupid question that doesn't deserve a response? Reading different information it seems plausible that you could keep an apisto in a community tank.... I was hoping someone might know for sure or have done this themselves.

smallfry53 said:
So I just discovered the LDA25 "pitbull pleco". Since I have a smaller tank I'm thinking I might be able to get like 3 of these guys instead of 1 BN. From what I have read it seems like they are more active too.

So I'm wondering if maybe that was a stupid question that doesn't deserve a response? Reading different information it seems plausible that you could keep an apisto in a community tank....

Not a stupid question! You could get

Kribs, german blue ram, electric blue ram, bolivian ram, angelfish, apistos and i think there are more that i am forgetting!

Im not sure, but maybe convict chichlids?? No idea about those

I love pitbull plecos. I have kept them before and I liked them a lot. I think 3 would be great in your tank. :)
There are a lot of species of apistogramma that are good community dwellers and are very colorful. There are also members of the Laetacara genus like the dwarf flag cichlid. Golden dwarf cichlids, keyhole cichlids, or rams are more options as well. :)

Ok thank you very much. So have you ever kept any of those with community fish? It just makes me nervous, If I get one and it makes my danios lunch. Wouldn't it probably be better to only get one though? so I don't have to worry about them getting aggressive while mating if I end up with a male and female?

Not a stupid question! You could get

Kribs, german blue ram, electric blue ram, bolivian ram, angelfish, apistos and i think there are more that i am forgetting!

Im not sure, but maybe convict chichlids?? No idea about those

all those will work but dont do convicts they are feisty little buggers

Is there any particular species you guys would recommend? Maybe one that a newbie wouldn't kill too easily. :whistle:

I have kept Bolivian rams, a keyhole cichlid, and dwarf flag cichlids in my community. I recommend Bolivians over gbr because Bolivians are typically less sensitive. I have heard a lot of apistos are pretty hardy though.
None of these dwarf cichlids is big enough to eat a zebra danio. Mine live with rummies (which are about the same size as a zebra danio) and have no issues.
Yes, it would be better to get just one if you have cories in there with them. Some pairs will do fine with cories, some will chase them around and nip at them. It can work out fine, but 1 is safer. I just said "rams" to refer to the species, not to suggest you get multiples. :)

I have kept Bolivian rams, a keyhole cichlid, and dwarf flag cichlids in my community. I recommend Bolivians over gbr because Bolivians are typically less sensitive. I have heard a lot of apistos are pretty hardy though.
None of these dwarf cichlids is big enough to eat a zebra danio. Mine live with rummies (which are about the same size as a zebra danio) and have no issues.
Yes, it would be better to get just one if you have cories in there with them. Some pairs will do fine with cories, some will chase them around and nip at them. It can work out fine, but 1 is safer. I just said "rams" to refer to the species, not to suggest you get multiples. :)

I might go with the Bolivian ram. Very nice looking fish! and I read it only gets about 3in. so that's not too bad. I don't think I'm going to get any cories though. I'm thinking 3 pitbull plecos and maybe some kuhli loaches. That might be too many bottom dwellers in a 30x12 though? or maybe just get more hiding places? I think I'm going to try and find some leopard danios or celestial pearl danios instead of the regular zebras. (but I'm pretty sure they are all about the same size)

Cpd can be shy, so make sure not to put them with tankmates that are too boisterous. Some other danios to consider would be purple passion danios, orange-finned danios, pearl danios, and glowlight danios (not the same as GloFish). :)

In my experience with ram keeping, breeding, etc. they do best when kept in multiples of two and they should be sexed pairs. Females tend to be the more aggressive sex with blue rams and an alpha female can harass another female to the point of death.

I often hear people say that Bolivians are hardier than blue rams and I tend to disagree with this. Blue rams have gotten a bad rap over the past few years due to inferior Asian bred rams flooding the marketplace and ending up in LFS's near you. It is all about the quality of stock that you start with and the Asian strains are mass produced and exposed to so many growth and coloring hormones (for quicker sale) that they die within about 4 months of bringing them home from the LFS and even the most experience ram keeper couldn't keep them alive. Start with good stock, keep up on your water changes, and your fish will live many happy years. The life span on rams is typically 3 years max and I kept some for over 6 of my original 8 over 5 years and they died from an equipment failure in the tank.

Cpd can be shy, so make sure not to put them with tankmates that are too boisterous. Some other danios to consider would be purple passion danios, orange-finned danios, pearl danios, and glowlight danios (not the same as GloFish). :)

O ya, I forgot I read that about cpds. I think they should be kept in bigger groups too. (There's a lot to remember) Maybe I'll just get the leopards.

In my experience with ram keeping, breeding, etc. they do best when kept in multiples of two and they should be sexed pairs. Females tend to be the more aggressive sex with blue rams and an alpha female can harass another female to the point of death.

I often hear people say that Bolivians are hardier than blue rams and I tend to disagree with this. Blue rams have gotten a bad rap over the past few years due to inferior Asian bred rams flooding the marketplace and ending up in LFS's near you. It is all about the quality of stock that you start with and the Asian strains are mass produced and exposed to so many growth and coloring hormones (for quicker sale) that they die within about 4 months of bringing them home from the LFS and even the most experience ram keeper couldn't keep them alive. Start with good stock, keep up on your water changes, and your fish will live many happy years. The life span on rams is typically 3 years max and I kept some for over 6 of my original 8 over 5 years and they died from an equipment failure in the tank.
I have kept both single rams and mutiple rams and I think singles do just fine.
Thats a valid point about getting good stock for gbr. If somebody is able to find a well-bred gbr then they are not as sensitive as their reputation suggests. However, well bred gbr are not always easy to find for some people, thats why I typically suggest getting Bolivians instead because if somebody is just looking to get fish from an lfs, its likely they will find poorly bred gbr. If the OP is interested in gbr, its worthwhile to ask your lfs where the stock came from.

Thanks for the advice! There is a pretty good fish store (from what I hear) in Toledo, which isn't too far. Blue rams are nice looking fish too... decisions decisions. So a male and female wouldn't be aggressive toward each other? and I have read that if they mate they will be aggressive toward other fish.

What about apistos? can they be kept individually? and would they be less aggressive?

Rams will usually pair readily if you have 1 of each gender. They can be aggressive to tankmates, but it all depends. Usually, they just chase other fish off and don't do any real damage. Cories often are the ones who get chased around by ram pairs. Tetras or other peaceful schoolers are not typically bothered.

I think I might get one of those two. I might just get it last and just try getting a single fish. I hear when getting more aggressive fish it is better to have the other tank mates in first so it doesn't establish territories.

Juvenile rams will readily pair if you have a male and female present, but often if a male and female pair has formed and for instance the male dies, the female might not take another mate. I had this exact situation happen to me and I got her a new male from the LFS. Either she decided she wasn't into younger men or she just decided that she liked girls, but she wanted nothing to do with him and she would constantly chase him away even when he was passing by. I've also had pairs swap partners before. Not sure what is in my water.......

Back
Top Bottom