Cories

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Danio35

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have been considering getting some type of cory for my 55-gal community tank. I am planning to add a Blue Gourami in a few days. My tank inhabitants as of right now include 3 Red-Eyed Tetras, 3 Silver Hatchetfish, 5 Danios and 3 CAE. My water is very hard with a pH of 8.4. Are cories a good possibility?

Certainly....go with 5-7 of a mid-sized type, like aeneus, trilineatus, metae, schwartzi, etc. You may want to eventually pare-down those CAEs to just one, as they tend to get quite large and can harass other fish. Your hatchets and tetras wouldn't mind 2-3 more companions each, either.

Cories would definitly do well in your tank. I agree with the CAE's - the older they get, the more territorial and/or aggressive they can become - especially to other bottom dwellers.

Thanks for the advice! I've already been seeing how aggressive the CAE's get. They're a hoot to watch and don't seem to be afraid of anything.

Dont Hatchets, and Tetras like SOft acidic water? I thought cories did too? Defintely get rid of The CAE get a Bushy Nose Pleco will thrive under all water conditons from 5.8 ph to 9.0. Bushy Nose Plecos are also grow to be onky 5icnhes.

JMHO

i recently picked up a 6 - 7 inch CAE from the pet store, hes been in the tank for a week, and he seems very shy, he comes out occasionally to clean the glass, but he hasnt bothered anything, including my vast collection of loaches, and my small 2 inch CAE

FishLover14 said:
Dont Hatchets, and Tetras like SOft acidic water? I thought cories did too? Defintely get rid of The CAE get a Bushy Nose Pleco will thrive under all water conditons from 5.8 ph to 9.0. Bushy Nose Plecos are also grow to be onky 5icnhes.

JMHO

Hi!

Yep, Hatchets and Tetras definately like soft acidic water. I bought them before I researched about them. I don't want to do that again. They are doing pretty well, though. They just wander around the tank seemingly happy. My Hatchets had an outbreak of ich, but I was able to get that under control.
I'll check out about bushy nose plecos

Thanks,

Michelle

in my experiance, and lots of other people i know's experiance, and from what ive read here in the past, people on this forums experiance, plecos dont really do too well at eating algae whereas CAE's destroy it, but a busy nose pleco would be awsome, ive been lookin for one :)

Back
Top Bottom