Diatoms...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Psyhampster

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok, my 30 has had a explosion of diatoms, due to the fact that the light was on from Thursday to Sunday... I'm lookin for somthing, preferebly a cory, to take care of the stuff. Any suggestions?

I will probably end up getting a herd of cories anyway, so...

eh, I was kinda looking for a Cory Cat, but thats just sortof a preference. I also have a scraper, so I could get a herd of cories, and if they don't take care of the diatoms, I could do it myself.

Diatoms/brown Algae is not from the lighting. Diatoms can also occur in very low lighting.

Normally in a new setup, Diatoms appear until the water stablizes. With an established tank it could be caused from high Nitrates. What are your water readings?

I personally don't think cory's will get your diatoms under control. Pleco's are extremely good with brown and green algae.

Diatoms/brown Algae is not from the lighting. Diatoms can also occur in very low lighting.

Agreed. Diatoms are nothing more than a collection of bacteria that isn't being killed in your tank. Definitley check the water. Something isn't right.

I don't know how much diatoms cories will eat either....oto cats will tear it up. Plecos I didn't think would touch brown algae either.

Good luck.

AFAIK, otos are the only fish that really eat brown algae or diatoms. However, some other suckermouth cats like bristlenoses seem to dislodge the brown stuff as they forage for other types of algae.

I read somewhere that having a live piece of bamboo sticking out of the tank helps reduce diatoms by pulling silicates out of the water. I haven't tested this...yet! At the moment, I scrape the diatoms off the walls and rinse them off the rocks and plastic plants.

Sorry for the hijack but I was jus tmoving my driftwood around in my tank to make some natural wood caves when all of a sudden i realize that there is something that looked like a brown moss-like growth on the wood (brown in color) and i immediately thought it was diatomes but wasn't completely sure as i never seemed to have had them before. The other reason i wasn't sure is because this particular piece of wood has some java fern on it that i am trying to attatch it to and secondly where this brown was at, was burried under some sand and gravel. If this is still diatomes then it gives my new pleco some practice (if i ever see it)

Diatoms

I have had good luck with Plecos eating every single bit of the Diatoms on my new fresh water setup. They had the whole tank clean within 2 days. I am sure that they love the stuff! And the best thing is that I didn't have to do anything to the water. Keep in mind that this is a new aquarium if you have an established aquarium I am with the others that say you need to check the water conditions for excess Nitrates.. hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom