I'm going to be getting Cory fish.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pettygil

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I ordered cory fish from Michael's fish room. I'll be getting on the 16th of this month. I have a 20 gallon tank. I ordered 5 Blue spotted cory's, and two Panda Cory's. I am new to taking care of Cory's. so any help would be appreciated. I have 3 red eyed tetra's, and 9 glow in dark tetra's. That's is all I'm buying for my 20 Gallon. So all you Cory's lover's help me out. I love Cory's they are a cool fish. I do know they play dead, and this I know this time around. I could not tell if Cory was dead, or not.:fish2::fish2::fish1::fish1::cool:

Red eye tetras are fin nippers and might go after the Corydoras because they get bored easily and you only have 3 of them. Personally, I would get rid of the red eye tetras.

The glow in the dark tetras could be black widow/ skirt tetras, which are also fin nippers. however, you have 9 of them and that will help keep them occupied.

-----------------

Corydoras do best on sand substrates or small smooth gravel substrates. Take some gravel and rub it against the palm of your hand, if it scratches your skin it is too sharp for the catfish.

Corydoras prefer live and frozen (but defrosted) foods. Most will take bottom feeding pellets. You feed them once a day, usually in the evening an hour or so after the lights have been turned off. Some will come out during the day and eat then, but others prefer to feed at night. Try them during the day and at night and see what happens. But don't over feed them. Any uneaten food should be removed after 5-10 minutes, unless it's live food like daphnia or blackworms, these can stay in the tank until eaten or sucked up by the filter.

Have some plants or driftwood in the tank to provide a shelter during the day.

Keep the water clean and do regular gravel cleaning, and away you go.

can i keep my 3 red eyed tetra's in my 6.5 gallon tank?

Red eye tetras are fin nippers and might go after the Corydoras because they get bored easily and you only have 3 of them. Personally, I would get rid of the red eye tetras.

The glow in the dark tetras could be black widow/ skirt tetras, which are also fin nippers. however, you have 9 of them and that will help keep them occupied.

-----------------

Corydoras do best on sand substrates or small smooth gravel substrates. Take some gravel and rub it against the palm of your hand, if it scratches your skin it is too sharp for the catfish.

Corydoras prefer live and frozen (but defrosted) foods. Most will take bottom feeding pellets. You feed them once a day, usually in the evening an hour or so after the lights have been turned off. Some will come out during the day and eat then, but others prefer to feed at night. Try them during the day and at night and see what happens. But don't over feed them. Any uneaten food should be removed after 5-10 minutes, unless it's live food like daphnia or blackworms, these can stay in the tank until eaten or sucked up by the filter.

Have some plants or driftwood in the tank to provide a shelter during the day.

Keep the water clean and do regular gravel cleaning, and away you go.

Can I keep my 3 red eyed tetra's in my 6.5 gallon tank? otherwise I have no where else to put them. I do not want lady from fish store to come over, so I have no where else to put the fish. Thanks for all your helpful advice. My gravel do not scratch my hands. It's a soft gravel. I do have a lot of fake silk plants in my tank. And places for the fish to hide. I do have feeding pellets. , also for my Betta. Which next month I'm going to buy. The tank should be cycled by then.

A group of red Eye tetras really need to be in 20 gallons. If you are only keeping 3 of them they will get stressed and this could manifest as aggression towards other fish.

3 tetra fish

A group of red Eye tetras really need to be in 20 gallons. If you are only keeping 3 of them they will get stressed and this could manifest as aggression towards other fish.

I can get 3 more Tetra's for my 20 gallon tank, that would make 6 red eyed tetra's, is that enough, or do I need to buy more? :cool::):fish2:

is this over crowding?

9 or 10 would be better than 6 but 6 is the minimum you need.

Is 9 glow Tetra's, (Glow in the dark fish), 6 red eyed tetra's, and 7 Cory's over crowding in a 20 gallon tank? if so, is ok to do, if I do 50% water changes every week? If not, what do I do with the Tetra fish? I could try selling them over the internet. But I am not experience with that.

Thank you.

As long as you keep up with water changes that should be ok.

I'm always doing water changes, like everyday on my tanks. 10 to 15 percent. Until my ammonia comes down. I can't seem to get to 0 ammonia. it usually is 0.5 to 1.0. I do water change everyday. :thanks::dance:

The fish are already shipped

I wouldnt add any more fish until your cycle is more established. You will only make your water quality worse.

The 7 Cory's are already shipped to me. And I already have 9 glo tetra's. I have 3 red eyed Tetra's, is this all I should have, until my tank, established its self?

If you are seeing ammonia in your tests your tank isnt cycled enough for what you already have. Adding more fish will make that worse.

If the fish are arriving then you will have to manage. Ordinarily you can up the water changes to keep water safe, but your tap water has ammonia in it so that wont really work. Do the best you can, but IMO you have been too hasty with buying new fish.

I agree with you.

If you are seeing ammonia in your tests your tank isnt cycled enough for what you already have. Adding more fish will make that worse.

If the fish are arriving then you will have to manage. Ordinarily you can up the water changes to keep water safe, but your tap water has ammonia in it so that wont really work. Do the best you can, but IMO you have been too hasty with buying new fish.

Yes, I have been hasty. I must admit. I am going to slow down and not buy anymore fish. I have bad impulse behavior, and when I see something I want I have to have it. I'm not very patient. I'm going to have to learn to be patient when it comes to my fish. how much water change per week, will I have to do, or will that be every few days, and if so. How much wc should I do on my 20 gal?

Until you are cycled you should be guided by your water testing. Try and keep ammonia around 0.5ppm. If it goes above that do a big water change.

As said, because your water is chloramine treated, and as such contains ammonia, its going to be difficult to keep ammonia at safe levels. As a precaution add a dose of prime everyday if you have detectable ammonia.

Until you are cycled you should be guided by your water testing. Try and keep ammonia around 0.5ppm. If it goes above that do a big water change.

As said, because your water is chloramine treated, and as such contains ammonia, its going to be difficult to keep ammonia at safe levels. As a precaution add a dose of prime everyday if you have detectable ammonia.

I looked on Prime's directions and I'm still do not know who much to use in my 20 gallon tank. It says to add Use 1 capful (5 mL) for each 200 L (50 US gallons) of new water. F.
I have a 20 gallon, so how many capful's do I use? I am going to order some prime. I do not have any prime at the moment, but I'm going to buy on Amazon.

My ammonia is 1.0

My ammonia is 1.0 do I do a wc? And if so how much. This is for my 20 gallon tank and 6.5 tank. Both tanks are at 1.0 right now. I do not have any prime on me. I have to place my order for it. I remember i checked a few days ago and I still got 1.0 ammonia. I did a water change of 25 percent and then my ammonia was 0.5 ammonia My tanks is not cycled yet. so should I leave everything alone, including the ammonia.

I looked on Prime's directions and I'm still do not know who much to use in my 20 gallon tank. It says to add Use 1 capful (5 mL) for each 200 L (50 US gallons) of new water. F.
I have a 20 gallon, so how many capful's do I use? I am going to order some prime. I do not have any prime at the moment, but I'm going to buy on Amazon.

Its basic maths. 1 capful doses 50 gallons. You have 20 gallons, so 2/5 of a capful. Use half a capful to be safe. These products have huge tolerences, so you dont need to be precise.

Your previous posts on other threads indicated you was going to use Prime going forward. Its reasonable for us to presume you are going to do the things you say you are. Its really difficult to give good advice to you when you don't because we keep having to go over things we thought was resolved.

What are you using as a water conditioner? This is important because you said in a previous post you where using quickstart for water conditioner, and quickstart isnt a water conditioner.

My ammonia is 1.0 do I do a wc? And if so how much. This is for my 20 gallon tank and 6.5 tank. Both tanks are at 1.0 right now. I do not have any prime on me. I have to place my order for it. I remember i checked a few days ago and I still got 1.0 ammonia. I did a water change of 25 percent and then my ammonia was 0.5 ammonia My tanks is not cycled yet. so should I leave everything alone, including the ammonia.

Change enough water to bring ammonia down to 0.5ppm again. Make sure you use a water conditioner with each water change.

Sick fish.

Its basic maths. 1 capful doses 50 gallons. You have 20 gallons, so 2/5 of a capful. Use half a capful to be safe. These products have huge tolerences, so you dont need to be precise.

Your previous posts on other threads indicated you was going to use Prime going forward. Its reasonable for us to presume you are going to do the things you say you are. Its really difficult to give good advice to you when you don't because we keep having to go over things we thought was resolved.

What are you using as a water conditioner? This is important because you said in a previous post you where using quickstart for water conditioner, and quickstart isnt a water conditioner.

Change enough water to bring ammonia down to 0.5ppm again. Make sure you use a water conditioner with each water change.

I'm using API AQUA ESSENTIAL Water Conditioner 16 ounce bottle. The quick start is for cycling my fish tank. One of my fish is swimming weird. I did a water change and added Primfeix nd Melifix, along with aquarium salt. I think one of my glow fish is sick, dying. I did a 15 percent water change. I also added ammonia blocker on my fish tank. Here is the ammonia blocker I used in my 20 gallon tank. https://www.amazon.com/KORDON-Amquel-Plus-Aquarium-16-Ounce/dp/B006OONEOA/ref=sr_1_6?crid=2MHWINUCYOVTY&keywords=ammo+lock+aquarium&qid=1676508074&rdc=1&sprefix=ammo+lock%2Caps%2C135&sr=8-6

Here is a video of my sick fish. What should I do?

Here is a video of my sick fish. What should I do?

I can't tell what the problem is due to being out of focus but any fish that is acting like that is dying. Euthanise it, then contact the place you are getting fish from and ask them to hold the order for another 2 weeks because your tank is not ready for more fish.

Back
Top Bottom