I'm going to be getting Cory fish.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's too late

I can't tell what the problem is due to being out of focus but any fish that is acting like that is dying. Euthanise it, then contact the place you are getting fish from and ask them to hold the order for another 2 weeks because your tank is not ready for more fish.

It's too late. my fish are arriving today.

Well you were right the fish is dead. The fish was not moving and was dead on the bottom of the tank. I put fish to sleep. Now I'm down to 8 glow fish in my 20 gallon tank. I did put ammonia blocker in the tank. My No2 and No3 are at 0. It's the ammonia that is the problem and I am running out of test strips. I'll have to buy more on Amazon, when I get payed again. I read the ammonia blocker i bought on Amazon had very high reviews. i keep up with my tanks everyday, with water changes and with testing my tank water everyday.

I'm using API AQUA ESSENTIAL Water Conditioner 16 ounce bottle. The quick start is for cycling my fish tank. One of my fish is swimming weird. I did a water change and added Primfeix nd Melifix, along with aquarium salt. I think one of my glow fish is sick, dying. I did a 15 percent water change. I also added ammonia blocker on my fish tank. Here is the ammonia blocker I used in my 20 gallon tank. https://www.amazon.com/KORDON-Amquel-Plus-Aquarium-16-Ounce/dp/B006OONEOA/ref=sr_1_6?crid=2MHWINUCYOVTY&keywords=ammo+lock+aquarium&qid=1676508074&rdc=1&sprefix=ammo+lock%2Caps%2C135&sr=8-6

The aqua essential and the amquel plus are both water conditioners that also claim to detoxify ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. These products are essentially identical to each other, and do the same job as prime. Pick one, use it up, then use the other up, then buy whichever product works out as the cheapest per water change.

A 15% water change will basically do nothing with regards to reducing ammonia. If your ammonia is at 1ppm a 15% water change will bring it down to 0.85ppm which is in reality no real change. And thats assuming the water going in is free of ammonia which it isnt. A 15% water change isnt worth doing, you need much bigger water changes.

50 percent water changes?

The aqua essential and the amquel plus are both water conditioners that also claim to detoxify ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. These products are essentially identical to each other, and do the same job as prime. Pick one, use it up, then use the other up, then buy whichever product works out as the cheapest per water change.

A 15% water change will basically do nothing with regards to reducing ammonia. If your ammonia is at 1ppm a 15% water change will bring it down to 0.85ppm which is in reality no real change. And thats assuming the water going in is free of ammonia which it isnt. A 15% water change isnt worth doing, you need much bigger water changes.

50 percent water changes? is that enough, or does it need to be more?
I just did a 50 percent today. So does that mean do 50 percent water change everyday, until my ammonia goes down and stays down. :thanks::fish2:

50 percent water changes? is that enough, or does it need to be more?
I just did a 50 percent today. So does that mean do 50 percent water change everyday, until my ammonia goes down and stays down. :thanks::fish2:

If the ammonia level is low (1ppm or less) do a 50% water change.

If the ammonia level is above 1ppm, do a 75% water change.

Continue doing daily water changes until the ammonia and nitrite levels remain at 0ppm. Then you can do a 50-75% water change and gravel clean the substrate once a week.

-----------------

You need a picture on the back of the tank to help the fish feel more secure. You can buy aquarium backings form pet shops or online. You can also use coloured card or a plastic bin liner. Just tape it to the outside on the back of the aquarium.

Thank you.

If the ammonia level is low (1ppm or less) do a 50% water change.

If the ammonia level is above 1ppm, do a 75% water change.

Continue doing daily water changes until the ammonia and nitrite levels remain at 0ppm. Then you can do a 50-75% water change and gravel clean the substrate once a week.

-----------------

You need a picture on the back of the tank to help the fish feel more secure. You can buy aquarium backings form pet shops or online. You can also use coloured card or a plastic bin liner. Just tape it to the outside on the back of the aquarium.

Thank you, :thanks: :thanks: will do. I did run out of test strips. I had to order some more. I bought a different type of test strip, easier to read. Yes, I was looking on amazon for pic on the back, at amazon for my fish. I found one I like. When I get payed again. I'm going to buy it.

I also had another question. I read that Cory's can sting if you get to close. Do I need gloves when I do water changes, so Cory's wont sting me, or do they just swim away? :fish2::fish2::fish1::fish1:

Corys dont sting.

They have barbs which can get stuck in a bigger fishes mouth if the bigger fish tries to eat it, but a cory won't rush over and stab you if you put your hand in the tank.

Thanks.

Corys dont sting.

They have barbs which can get stuck in a bigger fishes mouth if the bigger fish tries to eat it, but a cory won't rush over and stab you if you put your hand in the tank.

Thank you. :thanks: Well back to doing wc. I do everyday. 50 percent.
My Cory fish are quite active. They love to swim all over the tank. :fish2::fish2::fish1::fish1:

How do I know my gravel is sharp?

Corys dont sting.

For the cory's how do I know if my gravel is sharp? I picked it up and rubbed against my hand and it did not scratch my hand. So does this mean my gravel is not sharp. The gravel is fine and slips past my fingers while holding the gravel.
I just want to make sure everything is ok for my Cory's. They are quite active and swim in a school. I love Cory's as much as Betta's. Cool fish to watch and enjoy. I was thinking of using sand instead to be on the safe side. What fun that is going to be, to empty out my entire tank, and getting rid of all the gravel. I know it's all my fault I should of done my research, before buying the fish. Is there an easy way to get rid of the gravel? Is very fine and thin gravel.

Post a picture of the gravel or see if it looks smooth and rounded on the edges or if it looks pointy.

Sand is the ideal substrate for bottom dwelling fishes but they are normally fine on gravel as long as it doesn't scratch them.

I took a video of my gravel

Post a picture of the gravel or see if it looks smooth and rounded on the edges or if it looks pointy.

Sand is the ideal substrate for bottom dwelling fishes but they are normally fine on gravel as long as it doesn't scratch them.

here is a photo of my gravel. I do not know if soft

here is a photo of my gravel. I do not know if soft or hard gravel

Attachments

• 00000IMG_00000_BURST20230217232919_COVER (1).jpg
    00000IMG_00000_BURST20230217232919_COVER (1).jpg
    252.8 KB · Views: 8

No comment due to blurry picture :)

If the gravel didn't scratch you when you rubbed it on your hands, it is probably smooth and should be fine.

I took a video of my gravel. I also did a video.

Thank you, :thanks: :thanks: will do. I did run out of test strips. I had to order some more. I bought a different type of test strip, easier to read. Yes, I was looking on amazon for pic on the back, at amazon for my fish. I found one I like. When I get payed again. I'm going to buy it.

I also had another question. I read that Cory's can sting if you get to close. Do I need gloves when I do water changes, so Cory's wont sting me, or do they just swim away? :fish2::fish2::fish1::fish1:
I'd be curious to see if these new strips give you the same results as the old ones. You would have been better off going with the liquid tests tho. :whistle:

I'd be curious to see if these new strips give you the same results as the old ones. You would have been better off going with the liquid tests tho. :whistle:
And for the same cost as 2 packs of strips, a liquid test kit would give you 3 or 4 times the number of tests. Way cheaper in the long run to get a good liquid test kit.

Hint though. Cut the strip length ways to get 2x more tests from your pack of test strips. Might put that one in the "life hacks" thread.

Should I change the fish water?

There is no fish in this tank, and it's the only tank that shows N03 and N02.
Should I change the water.
N03 50 ppm
N0 2 1ppm

There is no fish in this tank, and it's the only tank that shows N03 and N02.
Should I change the water.
N03 50 ppm
N0 2 1ppm

As long as there are no fish, do nothing until the nitrite (NO2) level shows 0. Confirm that ammonia is also 0. Then do a water change change to dilute the nitrate (NO3). Your tank will be "cycled" and safe to add fish to.
Do not add a lot of fish at one time as the bacteria bed will still need to grow to accommodate the new bioload so there will be a slight increase in ammonia until it catches up. (How much "slight" all depends on how many fish you put in so you don't want to add too many. ) In a cycled aquarium, this happens quickly. (y)

It's my 6.5 gallon tank for 1 Betta

As long as there are no fish, do nothing until the nitrite (NO2) level shows 0. Confirm that ammonia is also 0. Then do a water change change to dilute the nitrate (NO3). Your tank will be "cycled" and safe to add fish to.
Do not add a lot of fish at one time as the bacteria bed will still need to grow to accommodate the new bioload so there will be a slight increase in ammonia until it catches up. (How much "slight" all depends on how many fish you put in so you don't want to add too many. ) In a cycled aquarium, this happens quickly. (y)

It's my 6.5 gallon tank for 1 Betta. My other 6.5 gallon tank has 2 endlers livebearers, very small fish, but that tank, is not showing N03 or N02. My 20 gallon tank, that I have had for a month, still is not shown N02, or No3.
I tried Fritz 7 bacteria, but it had no effect. As far as ammonia strips I have to wait, until I get payed again, to order some more strips.

It's my 6.5 gallon tank for 1 Betta. My other 6.5 gallon tank has 2 endlers livebearers, very small fish, but that tank, is not showing N03 or N02. My 20 gallon tank, that I have had for a month, still is not shown N02, or No3.
I tried Fritz 7 bacteria, but it had no effect. As far as ammonia strips I have to wait, until I get payed again, to order some more strips.

If you haven't ordered the strips yet, I strongly recommend switching to the liquid tests instead of strips. Much more reliable answers with liquid tests and cheaper per test in the long run. API's kit is the most recommended.

Back
Top Bottom