Filter for a 55 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pls1210

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am going to get a 55 gallon tank tomorrow and I was wondering what the best filter would be? I was thinking about taking two 30 gallon filters and putting one on each end but wasn't sure that would work the same as one big one.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

For hob I would do at least 2 ac 50. 70's would be better

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

might need to wait to see which tank you get as that might limit the filter that will fit. I've got a 56 tall so Aqueon 55/75 (400 gph) worked for me (after returning the first blind purchase). Bulky brace in the middle limited my choices but has been working out very well for such a small footprint.

Do you have in mind to add plants later ?

If it's for a planted tank, then a Canister will do a better job IMO. Eheim 2215 or 2217 should do the job for you.

Else you can go with louder, cheaper solution, HOB: Aquaclear or its clone, Fluval C5.

Also canisters require less maintenance, I clean/replace parts of bios media once per 4-6 months. Water is still clear and non-smelly.

How does a canister filter work? I know nothing about them.

How does a canister filter work? I know nothing about them.

Sorry for giant pictures long loading...

This is how it works inside:
ai-909708-ClassicCanister.jpg

This is how it must be installed
ehem.JPG

This is how you put it in the tank:
DSC02259.jpg

My tank run with Eheim 2213 and it looks like this:
247070DSC04588.jpg

160427IMG1920.jpg

On this last picture there's a lot of bubbles in the tank, due to the waterchange I just done.

Sorry for the dumb questions but if I buy a canister filter will it come with everything I need to hook it up? (Tubing and stuff like that) I had considered canister filters but had no idea how they were set up or what I would have to have.

Sorry for the dumb questions but if I buy a canister filter will it come with everything I need to hook it up? (Tubing and stuff like that) I had considered canister filters but had no idea how they were set up or what I would have to have.

Yes they come with all plumbing. Many come with media as well, though some do not. In my experience the ones that come with media don't provide enough so I have to go out and buy media anyway.

Don't know for every brand... But I know Eheim and Fluval give all the plumbing (easy assembly), filter media, and the carbon and the things needed for it to work properly.

The only thing you have to do is to cut the hoses for the right lenght with X-acto or cisors..

I think I am going to go with a canister filter. I am looking at them on Amazon right now. Out of curiosity why is it better for plants? I do plan on having a planted tank.

I think I am going to go with a canister filter. I am looking at them on Amazon right now. Out of curiosity why is it better for plants? I do plan on having a planted tank.

The main nutrient for the plants is CO2. The ambiant CO2 (air) level are low. If you put a HOB filter, you create a lot of surface agitation in the aquarium, removing the CO2, and giving fresh air for fishs, wich is good for them.

In a planted tank, the water don't need to be aerated via surface agitation, because the plants will convert the fishs CO2 into O2, both good for fishs and plants.

The canister filter give you the option to not create surface agitation if not needed, so that's why it's better.

ALSO, let's talk about your future potential desire/need to dose CO2 in the tank. Canister uses hoses for water transportation. This give you the option to cut a hose and plug an inline CO2 Reactor. Or you can do as I do, inject the CO2 straight to the canister intake.

You can take a look at my video:

CO2 Injection can be replaced by Excels product, like Seachem Excel. This is liquid carbon, but some plants like Valliniseria don't like it.

Carbon dosing is usually optionnal, but in some case not be an option, when the light are too strong. This is my case, I must dose a lot of CO2, but this is rewarding by extra fast plant growth.

Before dosing any CO2, read more about it, about light requirements too, about ferts, and never forget the CO2 Drop Checker test. Also, don't run to the LFS to buy all thoses ferts they sell, you won't need it and pollute the water if your light is not strong enough. Example: a 10 or 20 gallons aquarium with a single T8 fluorescent won't need any ferts, this will only cost you more money without getting any benefits.

Ok I have been researching CO2 for plants after joining this forum but I am having a hard time understanding exactly what I would need for that. As of now I have a 30 gallon tank with low -medium light plants but I would love to to have a co2 system on my new 55. Planted tanks are the most beautiful to me. I also have to buy a light for the 55 I actually just posted a new topic about one. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1418421773.214608.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1418421825.243038.jpg
This is the light I was looking at. I think it would only suffice for low light plants though. Could you possibly suggest some good lights?

For a 55 gallon I would agree with the canister filter. I have a fluval 306 on my 55. If I could do it over again I would have gone with the 406, but I added a cheap sun sun canister filter for peace of mind.

CO2 is really serious... All of the dosing needs depends on the light and the types of plants... By serious, I mean about money...

Give us an idea of what you plan to get and I'll tell you if CO2 is needed, or wich type of light can be the good one...

Lighting system is not cheap, ferts too, also, Pressurized CO2 System is really expensive, and need expert understandings...

Sorry i'm [PLACE YOUR MIND STATE HERE]

Anyways, canister filter is your best purchase if you plan to a planted tank !

The more the light is powerfull, the more chance you get to have algaes... CO2 is to help for that...

Back
Top Bottom