friends for my betta?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
But you would suggest neons in a 10g? I've even heard harlequins suggested for a 5g... I think they'd be fine.

Yes, I would. Harlequins grow to 1 3/4 inch, as opposed to the neons which only grow to 1 inch. Harlequins definitely should not be in a 5, a 10 really isn't the best for them either.

CorallineAlgae said:
RCS and CRS have no means to defend themselves and are way smaller (ie. easy prey) while ghosts can actually give a mildly aggressive fish a little nip to warn it to back off. There really is a difference, at least to most bettas.

Can they pinch?

bud29 said:
Yes, I would. Harlequins grow to 1 3/4 inch, as opposed to the neons which only grow to 1 inch. Harlequins definitely should not be in a 5, a 10 really isn't the best for them either.

Personally, I'd say both would be fine, although many say neons are to active for a 10g and need more swimming space. Regular neons will probably reach about the same length as a harlequin. There are some that stay smaller though, ie green neons. Both would look good, IMO.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=830+2855+1065&pcatid=1065
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=830+2855+1097&pcatid=1097

Everybody's opinion differs, I did say, in my opinion. I'm not trying to argue, you can search the web all you want and find conflicting information. If you want my REAL opinion, I wouldn't like to keep any stock other than shrimp or a betta in anything smaller than a 20L. I always get sad watching my 10g community, wish they had more space regardless of what they "call" for. More space is always better, but, it can, and is done in 10 gallons all the time.

K, I'm done. (y)

Good luck OP with whatever you choose! Your tank looks great btw! :D

I am definitely not trying to argue either. I have just seen a lot of threads about harlequins and I have yet to see a post that recommends them in a 10. I have seen some posts about how neons would be OK in a 10, though. I am just going off of info I have come across. I completely agree that there is lots conflicting info on the web. That is the reason I created an account on this forum. I wanted straight answers.

Anyways, the OP looks like she wants inverts more than fish, so this whole thing between us might have been completely pointless:lol:

Billbug68 said:
Personally, I'd say both would be fine, although many say neons are to active for a 10g and need more swimming space. Regular neons will probably reach about the same length as a harlequin. There are some that stay smaller though, ie green neons. Both would look good, IMO.

I agree. Everybody agrees that bigger tanks are more ideal. That said, I've kept and know lots of others who've kept both fish in 10s for years without a problem. As long as they aren't overcrowded or poorly taken care of harlequins and neons are ok to keep in a 10. Ideal, no. Is it reasonable? I think so. That doesn't mean that I'm right though.

bud29 said:
I am definitely not trying to argue either. I have just seen a lot of threads about harlequins and I have yet to see a post that recommends them in a 10. I have seen some posts about how neons would be OK in a 10, though. I am just going off of info I have come across. I completely agree that there is lots conflicting info on the web. That is the reason I created an account on this forum. I wanted straight answers.

Anyways, the OP looks like she wants inverts more than fish, so this whole thing between us might have been completely pointless:lol:

Well at least we kept our debate civil! :) Haha, I tried neons in my 10 at first, and in my experience they were a little nippy. I traded them out for 6 glowlights. I haven't kept harlequins yet, so I can't attest to their peacefulness quite yet, other than what I've read. My only other beef with neons, is that they are a little sensitive, and vulnerable to NTD, false NTD, etc... Most of mine kicked the bucket, but it was when I first started out and didn't have a clue. Maybe we can make some invert suggestions now! :) I'm for the ghosties or maybe some amano shrimp. They crayfish would be cool too, you don't see that much! (y) I like my ghosties, they're always out, and their little arms are cool! Fun to watch! (y)

CorallineAlgae said:
I agree. Everybody agrees that bigger tanks are more ideal. That said, I've kept and know lots of others who've kept both fish in 10s for years without a problem. As long as they aren't overcrowded or poorly taken care of harlequins and neons are ok to keep in a 10. Ideal, no. Is it reasonable? I think so. That doesn't mean that I'm right though.

Thanks, Coralline. :D

I have always wanted shrimp. Sadly, the closest place to me that sells them is 5 hours away. This limits my options.....

Your neons were nippy? The only time I had a neon nip was when we first put a betta in my sisters tank. The neon must have thought it was food at first, because it nipped at the bettas tail. But, as soon as it did it knew it was in trouble because it then quickly swam away and hid.

I had one little trouble maker who nipped the other neons, not my betta. I didn't have a proper school though, and my tank was still cycling at the time. So those could have been variables to his/her attitude... Haha

No petsmarts close to you? My petsmart carries ghosties, usually sold as feeder shrimp. I'm thinking of turning my 55 into a huge RCS breeding tank, (might as well try to make a little $$$ from the hobby) so maybe I could send you some, someday...

No petsmarts close to you? My petsmart carries ghosties, usually sold as feeder shrimp. I'm thinking of turning my 55 into a huge RCS breeding tank, (might as well try to make a little $$$ from the hobby) so maybe I could send you some, someday...

Nope, there isn't too much demand for a pet store in my area. That place 5 hours away from me is the closest petsmart I believe.....

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I think I'm gonna try out a couple varieties of shrimp and see how it works out, I'll let you guys know :)

bud29 said:
Nope, there isn't too much demand for a pet store in my area. That place 5 hours away from me is the closest petsmart I believe.....

Wow that sucks :( where I live I know of 3 petsmarts, 2 petcos, 3 pet supplies plus and 2 family owned shops plus meijer and Walmart have fish and supplies. Move here lol

Went to my lfs today, Trilby Tropical. Got a blue rili (is that how its spelled?) shrimp bc their rcs looked quite pale. Also got the cutest ramshorn snail that the guy was quite surprised I wanted because he said everyone thinks they're a nuisance but this one was adorable :) and I.got some duckweed

Wow that sucks :( where I live I know of 3 petsmarts, 2 petcos, 3 pet supplies plus and 2 family owned shops plus meijer and Walmart have fish and supplies. Move here lol

I know. Some of my relatives live in a big city and they have tons of pet stores. Every time I go there I dedicate one morning to looking at all the fish available.

And if you are still looking for rcs here is another link:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f25/red-cherry-shrimp-w-bright-genes-220878.html

I know, its really cute :) I only got one for now bc they're $6.99 each and I wanna make sure my betta doesn't eat him before getting more

Good luck mixing them, I've never had it work out for very long. I've got some juvie female bettas right now that I bet would work out for a while because of their lack of size, I may try it out just to see.

Back
Top Bottom