Got a big fish!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
pacu

My granfather was a fish enthusiast and keeper in the 70's
He had an oscar kinda fish and three pacu and a few misc smaller fish.....in an olympic pool turned to a pond; they were huge.
All the same size as me almost! I wasn't even allowed to go out to the big pond unaccompanied until I was like 8-9.
They were big pirana (he kept pirana..and many other odd S.American species )looking fish with faded orange and black fin tips. And ate bushel-basket loads of food!
The Petsmart people keep steering my kids to the cute oscars when they look at they fish. My daughter gives him the evil eye and says primly "and what am I gonna do with him when he is a 80 pond monster?" I *supercrilious sniff* breed show bettas.And put a top on that frog tank before I pocket one!" (what a little creep).
Anyway.....that store did you a disservice. take it back!

Christmasfish said:
I wasn't even allowed to go out to the big pond inaccompanied until I was like 8-9.
No wonder - you'd have made a nice fishy snack had you fallen in.:lol:

Christmasfish, how old is your daughter?
The Petsmart people must see you coming and cringe! :lol:

Thank you for your conserns.

I'm looking into either getting a bigger tank or different fish.

He isn't insterested in the feeder fish any how, so i guess he'll have a diet of mainly fruit.

The belly of the fish is actually white, it has very slight red marks on the tips of the bottom fins, but thats about it.

I was at a aqurium yesterday, they had a big fish exibit, including your Pacu there, you would be doing yourself a favor to take it back, even for store refund, a partial refund, or none at all. My 135 and 150 gal each cost around 2,000 completely set up.

Actually, if I remember correctly, pacus are not meat eaters, and actually are vegetarians. Is one way they really differ from the pirahna; you can see the diff in the mouth structures even tho they sorta look alike.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom