Has my aquarium cycle stalled?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

furrymurray

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi. I need advice. I have a new 20 gallon tank that I am trying to cycle. The tank has been set up with danios and a loach for 19 days. I have had ammonia spikes for at least 15 days. I originally used test strips but switched to API master test kit for testing. I also have a water sprite plant.

For the past 15 days my water reading have been pretty much the same.

Ammonia-readings from .5 to 1 ppm
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
Ph 8.2
Temp 76 degrees

Has my tank just stalled or am I being impatient? I am tired of my fish dying. I have replaced a lot of dead danios :(

Thanks for your help and if you need more info let me know.

No, it hasn't stalled...it just takes a long, long time to do with fish. If you're tired of your fish dying, cycle without fish. It's common sense. I'm assuming you have at least some knowledge on cycling for you to inquire about it, so check out fishless cycling if you don't want to keep wasting money on fish that you know will die by placing them in toxic water.

I was following the advice from the employee at the pet store. If I knew then what I know now I would have done a fishless cycle. I could put the loach and danio in a 2 gallon hospital tank so I can cycle the 20 gallon but Then I am stuck with a 2 gallon and 20 gallon uncyled tank :(

Mr. Limpet said:
Daily PWC are going to be part of your routine until the tank cycles in order to keep the ammo level >.25ppm and spare your fishes gills from ammo burns. If you haven't seen it, here a link on cycling with fish.

I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?!

Darn you Mr limpet! I just went and copied that link and was about to paste it, lol.

I also strongly suggest returning the fish and following the guide in my signature. When fish continue dying because the water is toxic...continuing to add fish is not a very smart or humane way to do things IMO. We'll be happy to help either way, just follow one of the two guides we linked for you.

I was following the advice from the employee at the pet store. If I knew then what I know now I would have done a fishless cycle. I could put the loach and danio in a 2 gallon hospital tank so I can cycle the 20 gallon but Then I am stuck with a 2 gallon and 20 gallon uncyled tank :(

If you were following his advice, bring the fish back and do a fishless cycle, since they are the ones that told you to do it that way.

*EDIT* Eco said it as I was posting, ha.

Mr. Limpet said:
Daily PWC are going to be part of your routine until the tank cycles in order to keep the ammo level >.25ppm and spare your fishes gills from ammo burns. If you haven't seen it, here a link on cycling with fish.

I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?!

How much do you recommed I changed? They guy at the pets store told me not to change the water but I am starting to not trust his advice

Oh, and the #1 most important rule of fish keeping...never listen to the guy at the lfs :) it's not your fault, they give people horrible advice every day. We can help you get through it one way or another.

furrymurray said:
How much do you recommed I changed? They guy at the pets store told me not to change the water but I am starting to not trust his advice

I would do an immediate 75% or two back to back 50% pwc's (partial water changes).

Make sure you use a dechlorinator...preferably Seachem Prime as it also temporarily detoxifies the ammo, but won't stop your tank from cycling.

Yep, unless the 2g is cycled, it'll be the same issue and maybe worse as smaller tanks go whacky faster than larger ones IME. I'd suggest keeping them where they are, going through the link I posted and keep up on 25-50% PWC daily.

What do you use to dechlorinate your water? I like Seachems Prime for a number of reasons, one being that you can do 2-5X the normal dose and it'll help bind the ammo into a nontoxic form that bacteria can utilize, but isn't as harmful to fish.

Thanks. I will do the pwc and cross my fingers. This is so frustrating that the pet store gives bad advice. I guess it keeps them in business. The more fish that die the more fish I buy to replace them LOL. Thanks for you time :). Everyone wish me luck

furrymurray said:
Thanks. I will do the pwc and cross my fingers. This is so frustrating that the pet store gives bad advice. I guess it keeps them in business. The more fish that die the more fish I buy to replace them LOL. Thanks for you time :). Everyone wish me luck

Good luck! The fact you joined this site and asked for help means you'll be a great fish keeper. I'd still highly recommend trying to return the fish to the store or re-homing them with a friend who has a tank, and doing a fishless cycle. We'd all be happy to guide you through it :)

I have been using aqua plus for the dechlorinator The LFS told me NOT to use prime because the bacteria needs ammonia. Geez and I fell for that one! Lol

It's not uncommon especially in the big box stores. I'm surprised they haven't sold you a bag full of instant cure-alls to dump into you tank, now that's pretty common :p.

EDIT: I'd suggest getting Prime right away and start with a double dose, see how it does and adjust accordingly.

It really is sad. Some of the things lfs's tell people is borderline criminal IMO. I have a hard time walking into a Petsmart because I always overhear what the employees are telling people. Most of them just don't view fish as living animals I guess :-(

Quick question. I used the prime and did a 50% water change. Ammonia is reading a weak .5 ppm. API test still shows ammonia. But thats the detoxified ammonia. Correct? So its ok?

Back
Top Bottom