Has my aquarium cycle stalled?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
furrymurray said:
Quick question. I used the prime and did a 50% water change. Ammonia is reading a weak .5 ppm. API test still shows ammonia. But thats the detoxified ammonia. Correct? So its ok?

It will be non toxic for about 24 (maybe 36 hours?). I'd focus on keeping it under .25 at all times. The article Mr. Limpet linked really is the best resource to get you and your fishies through it :). It should walk you through the whole process

I read the article. So is this a good game plan? Check water once a daily or more. If over .25 do a 50% water change. If .25 just do a 25% change?

furrymurray said:
I read the article. So is this a good game plan? Check water once a daily or more. If over .25 do a 50% water change. If .25 just do a 25% change?

The ammonia level is going to dictate the frequency and size of pwc's. At any level at or above .25, the ammonia starts burning and scarring the gills of the fish. During some parts of the cycle it will climb much faster than others and 50% pwc's twice a day might be needed. I'd really urge you to return the fish if at all possible and cycle the tank before you add fish back in. It's a good feeling to know you're moving them into a healthy home you made for them.

I thought about returning them. But I am afraid they will just sale them to some other inexperienced person and they will die anyways :(. I will do multiple water test and multiple water changed daily if needed. I am sorry my ignorance put these little fish in a bad situation but I am educating myself and will do whatever is needed to give them a better life and give them the best care. I am glad I found this website where I can get good info from people that know what they are doing! :)

furrymurray said:
I thought about returning them. But I am afraid they will just sale them to some other inexperienced person and they will die anyways :(. I will do multiple water test and multiple water changed daily if needed. I am sorry my ignorance put these little fish in a bad situation but I am educating myself and will do whatever is needed to give them a better life and give them the best care. I am glad I found this website where I can get good info from people that know what they are doing! :)

Good for you :). I worry about the same thing when people return fish. Being a Danio is rough because all these untrained / uncaring idiots at the lfs basically tell people to buy and torture them in exchange for cycling their tank. The truth is that Danios are awesome, active and entertaining little fish (I've got 8 )and really give great life to your aquarium.

I'm sure being as committed as you are,things will work out great...it just requires patience and perseverance. And never forget the rule I gave you...never listen to the guy at the lfs, in fact...do the opposite of what they say :)

Thank you for your help and patience. I am sure I will need further advice down the road and I know where I can go for answer. You guys are awesome here!

furrymurray said:
Thank you for your help and patience. I am sure I will need further advice down the road and I know where I can go for answer. You guys are awesome here!

Happy to help. Welcome to the site by the way. You'll be addicted in no time.

Ok. I have an issue (this will be last problem tonight I promise). I did another PWC of 25% to lower the weak .5 ammonia. Tested again and it still read the same so I tested my tap water and it read a weak .5. Any suggestions. Will I ever be able to get it lower than a .5?

furrymurray said:
Ok. I have an issue (this will be last problem tonight I promise). I did another PWC of 25% to lower the weak .5 ammonia. Tested again and it still read the same so I tested my tap water and it read a weak .5. Any suggestions. Will I ever be able to get it lower than a .5?

Just means you have chloramines in the water (chlorine / ammonia mixture) as part of your water treatment. Once the tank is cycled, the bio-filter will quickly gobble it up...the Prime will handle it in the mean time.

Back
Top Bottom