Have to start over with my angels, RIP :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

Well i started out with 6 and wound up with a beautiful pair, but for no apparent reason, one of them died this weekend! And she wasn't even showing any signs of distress, and my water chemestry was PERFECT:
Ammonia-0
Nitrite-0
Nitrate-10-20
pH- 7.8 (its been the same for 6 months)

I have had these two angels for about 6 months and they finally got big enough and started showing spawning behavior, and I even got rid of the third one that was getting picked on... I have had angels die before, but usually they start swimming funny, flipping upside down.. etc.. but this one showed NO signs of distress whatsoever. I got home one morning to find him dead with his eyes glazed over... floating.

Well I sold the largest back to the fish store and bought 6 babies.. I am going to try again. THey are only about the size of a nickle.... soooo tiny and cute. I hate having to start over again, but I LOVE angel fish and i would really like to get a pair out of this one like with my others... and i couldn't afford to buy the ones as big as my one left was, and if i left him with the smaller ones, well he would've attacked them.

If i do manage to get a breeding pair, I think i am going to get a 30 gallon tall JUST for them and maybe some corys, but anyway.. wish me luck and if you can think of any reason why my female angel died... please share!
Here is a few pics of the pair... The zebra one is at the fish store, the White one is... in Angelfish heaven :cry:
img_507208_0_96d453ff8cfe7077bcdae4938529235b.jpg

img_507208_1_b699195b8a59a5d65a65dc05d6a78efd.jpg

img_507208_2_a0aad4685d080cf791fa6bfdabb81ba5.jpg

I am so sorry for your loss. I wish I had an idea why. I hate when my fish die for no apparent reason.

I'm sorry to hear about that I know how it feels :( I had a breeding pair of angels about 1 month ago that I had raised from babies and they paired off. Then one morning I woke up and the male had died :cry: . I do not know why it happened either .
Good Luck with your new angels :D

Thanks, i think the worst part is not really that one died, but that i have to get rid of my other big one, i wish i had another tank right now, but i don't and... well I don't have the funds for a new tank, not till i graduate nursing school in May next year anyway (then i will have my RN and be making good money.. lol) Anyway, the new ones are so adorable and really cute to watch.

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. I wish I could offer some reason why but sometimes there is no reason why. I am glad you are starting over again with angels and wish you the absolute best of luck with them.

Bummer. I love angels, and you were smart to trade in the big one and start all over. Adding angels at different times and of different sizes can really go wrong fast. They are a joy to grow out, but are at their finest when adults, so I am sorry for your loss.

I'm sorry for your loss AshleyNicole. I went through the same thing a few months ago. It was smart of you to return the single adult angelfish you had because it would not have gotten along with the new juveniles in the long run. I had one of a pair die and bought another two juvenile angelfish at the LFS. When I put them in the tank with the surviving angel they ganged up on it until I took it back to the LFS.

IME with angels Ashley, they can be especially nasty to each other. Just a guess but it's likely that one killed the other. Also your tank has quite the bioload. If one angel was being picked on, I can't imagine it would find a quiet spot to hide in with so many active fish (especially barbs).

well, I had thought about that, but my tank is extremely peaceful.. and I NEVER saw thim picking at each other... they were always swimming together... and i just got the barbs AFTER the angel loss... so i know thats not the problem. The only time the two ever showed any "aggression" would be the liplocking, but I only witnessed that twice.

EDIT: I also have tons of plants and hiding spots as well... and although i do have a high bioload, i am usually do about an 50-70% water change on a weekly basis... when i am changing the water my husband goes "jeez how much water are you changing?" But i really like to get all the gunk sucked up and if thats what it takes, then thats what it takes... to keep the nitrates down.

angel fish are amazing, its so sad to see one die, especially when you finally get them full grown... Good luck with the juvies!

LOL... easy for you to say.. these little guys love to explore!!!

Back
Top Bottom