How do you name your fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
do your fish respond to you when you name them???? no.... so whats the point???

The same reason you would name a child born with such deficiencies it disables them from responding. Because you care.

And no, I'm not comparing fish to that of a human. Just a though. :rainbowafro:

If I had a 75 Gal. aquarium so I could have ONE Oscar , then I would probably name him . But trying to name each and every fish in a shoal when all are basically a mirror image of the other like all of my Serpae Tetra would be an act of futility . Even more so if you had several aquariums with even more different species of schooling fish . I guess one could just call them all Fred and/or Wilma .

Agreed. The two goldies and pleco are easy. The 4 panda corys all look identical.

I named my betta Red Eyes Black Dragon because he has similar colors and red eyes just like the Yugioh card. My other two are Soromon (my sister named, from lord of the rings) and little mommy because she was a breeder fish from petsmart but she was getting old so they sold her, which was kinda mean. I have had her for about 5 months and shes doing just fine.

I name my fish based on looks:

Albino Tiger Oscar: Humphrey. Names like Humphrey, Clyde, Chuck, etc. just seem to fit Oscars.

Jack Dempsey: Rocky. For another boxer....

Common pleco: Paulie. (Paulie the Pleco)

Clown Knife: Marley. Because of his ghostly appearance he was named for Marley from "A Christmas Carol".

Convicts (Breeding pair): Jack and Jill.

Managuense: Biff. He gets his name from the bully in "Back to the Future".

Common Pleco #2: Spot. He has the most unique spots....

Electric Blue Dempsey: Tesla. Named for the late great electrical engineer.

I always liked finding names for my fish that either reflected thier looks, or thier personality. One of the things I love about cichlids, is they definitely have personality!

Okay we're new to the fish thing but I immediately named the fish we inherited. I thought our algae eater was an oscar and immediately named him that but have since found out he's a pleco. (See I said we are new to this). Got another pleco and named him Felix because he was obviously more interested in working than Oscar, the lazy one.

The two orange fish (I don't think they are goldfish) are Fred & Ginger.

The other fish are not named.

On a sad note, all but Fred & Ginger died this weekend (total of 8 ) but I will address that and ask for help on another thread.

Last edited:
Okay we're new to the fish thing but I immediately named the fish we inherited. I thought our algae eater was an oscar and immediately named him that but have since found out he's a pleco. (See I said we are new to this). Got another pleco and named him Felix because he was obviously more interested in working than Oscar, the lazy one.

The two orange fish (I don't think they are goldfish) are Fred & Ginger.

The other fish are not named.

On a sad note, all but Fred & Ginger died this weekend (total of 8 ) but I will address that and ask for help on another thread.

you are confusing me with your naming, can you just tell me what kind of fish they are!!! lol

Back
Top Bottom