How much tap water conditioner to use?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ckingz77

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm using API tap water conditioner.It says to use so much to remove chlorine and chlorine.Then it also says to add so much to protect scales and fins.Somebody who uses API product to treat water how many ml do I use I'm changing 15 gallons of aquarium water.

I use the same thing and do 1ml per 10 gallons
Are you using the tap water conditioner or the stress coat?

That will get expensive over time. Its awesome stuff but I use it just to give my goldies a nice slime coat

So I should use the API tap water conditioner instead.How many ml do I use for changing 15 gallons of water?

That's what I do. I use the tap water conditioner for chlorine n stress coat just to make the fish happy. I do 1ml of each per 10 gallons so for 15 gallons that'd be 1.5ml of each.
But if your LFS stocks seachem prime get that instead of the api tap water conditioner. From what I'm reading its the best one to use. I myself don't use it because I have a big bottle of the api tap water conditioner, but when I run out I'll be switching over to it.
Not saying api doesn't work, if that's all your LFS has (guessing Petco, that's where I get my api stuff) just get that, works just as good.
Also as far as dosing goes, its not written in stone, but it works well for me and my fancy goldies along with a couple clown loaches and bristlenose plecos.

So let me see if I got this right.My tank size is 50 gallon,and I'm doing a 15 gallon water change.I use 1.5ml of both the stress coat and the tap water conditioner?

Yes use both. Do you treat the water in the bucket before you add it to your tank?

Yes use both. Do you treat the water in the bucket before you add it to your tank?

I dnt myself. Know I prolly should but my buckets maybe a gallon & 1/2 & doing wc on 40 gallon. I gotta put 4 capfuls to the tank. I need a bigger bucket :) I do put it in immediately after though.

You wanna add conditioner to your tank before you add tap water. 4 capfuls sounds like a lot for a 40 gallon. How many mls is the cap.

You wanna add conditioner to your tank before you add tap water. 4 capfuls sounds like a lot for a 40 gallon. How many mls is the cap.

10 ml is one capful. . Says 10 ml for every 10 gallons. With 40 gal, that's 4 capfuls. I will start doing that, I just didn't wanna add the 4 capfuls to the tank with 20% of the water missing. Thinking its be too much meds @ once.

What conditioner are you using that uses that much?

It's Terta AquaSafe dechlorinator & conditioner (from wal mart). Bought a bigger bottle today of AquaSafe plus ( seems to be basically the same) but it calls for 1/2 the amount.

image-4240965275.jpg

If you want the best bang for your buck, get Seachem prime. 5mL (1 teaspoon...one capful) treats 50 gallons of water.

A 500mL bottle, which treats 5000 gallons, is about $12-$15 at most stores.

When I put the tap water conditioner in my water. How long do
I wait before
Doing water change. Ie:minutes or hours?

I pour in one capful into the tank after siphoning the water and immediately add the fresh tap. Been doing it that way for years with no ill effects.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

So let me see if I got this right.My tank size is 50 gallon,and I'm doing a 15 gallon water change.I use 1.5ml of both the stress coat and the tap water conditioner?

Tetra water conditioner does both at once. (Yellow bottle)
Still works out expensive but it's cheaper than two bottles, I used this for 5year or more, no trouble.

If you want the best bang for your buck, get Seachem prime. 5mL (1 teaspoon...one capful) treats 50 gallons of water.

A 500mL bottle, which treats 5000 gallons, is about $12-$15 at most stores.

Prime does funny things to your water, if you have Chloramines yes use prime.

When I put the tap water conditioner in my water. How long do
I wait before
Doing water change. Ie:minutes or hours?

Not even minutes. Depends on temperature but even if it's really cold, just siphon slower.

What do you think Prime does to your water? It's essentially the same ingredients used by other brands, just more concentrated.

I've been using Prime for years and never had a problem. It just isn't watered down like the others.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

What do you think Prime does to your water? It's essentially the same ingredients used by other brands, just more concentrated.

The ingredients in de chlorinator products are not the same.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/ammo-lock-trouble-high-ammonia-readings-help-300434.html

We analysed ammo lock, forgive me it wasn't seachem but a few ingredients were covered along the way.

Seachems own website explains mysterious and unexplainable events when using the product. While it is beneficial nobody can explain what is happening and why. They recognise this.

I think then, the company who produces a product cannot explain what there own product is doing?

Seachem's Prime- Ingredients? - Reef Central Online Community prime thread on reef central.

Product review of Water Conditioners / Dechlorinators for the aquarium
Intended use for prime, new tanks or ammonia protection. Not normal in a cycled system.

(any help with my algebra:D)

Back
Top Bottom