How strict is this ''don't use anything previously washed with soap" rule?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fish24907

Aquarium Advice Regular
My tank is kinda dirty and I want to do a water change and cleaning.

To refill my tank with water, I want to use this 5 gallon bucket I have. This bucket has been washed with soap before. Is this fine? The water will be in that bucket for a few minutes before it is dumped into my tank.

I've used buckets that have had worse in them and washed them out just make sure you rinse them with hot water very well

Agreed, so long as you rinse very well with warm water prior to using it, you have no issues.

Cool.

That's what I was thinking. I mean, even a bucket that you've never personally washed with soap before may have been cleaned by the manufacturer with something before you even bought it.

So this rule for the most part only applies to things that go into the tank? Like gravel if someone washed it with soap before knowing that they shouldn't wash it with soap?

Ya with buckets its smooth and wipes clean easily but decor and other things could potentially soak up something or get trapped in any holes/cracks/details

I used to be crazy about this rule but I use all regular pitchers now lol

Back
Top Bottom