How to treat ich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SadSoyBeans

Aquarium Advice Freak
So my tetras have ich on their fins and none of my other fish are showing symptoms but i know that changes quickly.

Its not related to water parameters cause they were all in the safe zone, its becuase i stressed them out becuase i had to reorganize the tank for better flow.

But they've already calmed down a bunch and now so would it go away on its own? Raising temp and adding aquarium salt works right? Also i have snails in that tank that i cant add copper based meds.

Ich will not go away on its own. As long as there is a host present, it will continue to increase in numbers until it kills the host.
I believe you should only raise temperatures OR add salt but not both. Or an herbal medication such a Ich Attack or Rid Ich could be used.
Treatment can take a few weeks.

I already started raising the temp only by 2 degrees today but i will do more, i didnt have any aquarium salt on me so i didnt add any and are those meds that you listed safe for snails

Heat or salt or meds. No combo.
I'd stick with heat. Get it up to 86 degrees F (30 degrees C) for a few weeks.
Kordon's Ich Attack is supposedly safe for snails and shrimp.

I had great luck with ich the only time I've had it, I saw it, waited a couple days to make sure it really was, turned the heat up to about 83, added some salt, and within a few days it was gone. So I think you'll be okay to do salt and heat same time but this is just my opinion :)

You'll also want to gravel vac a lot, as the heat speeds up the life cycle and they'll be falling off the fish faster, helps stop them from re-infecting.

I'd go with salt and heat too. Water changes and take out decoration and clean them too. Might wanta clean the inside glass and gravel just to get the coating off everything. There's a bad kinda coating that start forming on everything in tanks if not wash once in a while. Alot of times is the cause of sicknesses, illnesses, and just killing off your fish with no warning.

I'd go with salt and heat too. Water changes and take out decoration and clean them too. Might wanta clean the inside glass and gravel just to get the coating off everything. There's a bad kinda coating that start forming on everything in tanks if not wash once in a while. Alot of times is the cause of sicknesses, illnesses, and just killing off your fish with no warning.
When i moved everything i took it out and cleaned it a bunch

Okay thanks, i just did a 2g water change and ill raise the temp up more later, i lowered the water level to have a miniature water fall to increase aeration.

Back
Top Bottom