Identify this fish please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nataliedd

Aquarium Advice Activist
My brother has been given a tank with fish, however we're unsure what this fish is. So can you help?

Sent from my SM-G800F using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1418938186968.jpg
    1418938186968.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 171
It's either buenos aires, or blood fins. Maybe Congo tetras but they have black tails usually

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yes think your right. Looks like a buenos aires. Previous owner obviously didnt give a hoot cos its in with a redtail shark and in cold water! Im relatively new to fish keeping but I thought red tail would not be a good match with tetras? Ive advised him to get heater and slowly increase to get them accustomed to change. Sound right?

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Good plan! Also he needs a test kit such as the API brand Master Test Kit for freshwater, to measure ammonia and nitrites and nitrates and all the good stuff. I am guessing the tank will go through another cycle so please do a search on here and find the fish-in cycling thread, or rather have your brother read it depending on his age group etc.

Good Luck!

Was gonna give him some of my filter media to help and ive a api kit to test. told him to buy no fish til stabilised with water and the heating on track. I'm surprised the fish are still alive in cold water if they are meant to be tropical. Will the move back to heated tank be ok for fish if done slowly?

I think they should be fine. Fish get shipped all the time and end up cooler than they like it. Like you already said- just do it slowly to acclimate them. :)

What you think of red tail in with the tetras? I though they shouldn't be together cos shark would bully them?

125litres

Yes think it best to re home as my brother is just starting out. Hopefully lfs will take it

Definitely a Buenos Aires, they are tougher tetras but do remember that they are still tetras.

Ta everyone x

It's a Buenos Aires tetra I think. Mine are a little more silvery in color though

Definitely a buenos aires tetra. We just bought three yesterday. Happy little guys.

Back
Top Bottom