Is this definatly a pike cichlid?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mattman0182

Aquarium Advice Regular
I finally uploaded a couple pics to the computer. The people at the pet store didnt even know what he was when I got him. I went back a week ago with a pic and finally got someone to identify him as a pike cichlid.
I have a 29 Gal with African Clawed Frog, Bristlenose, and Upside Down Cat.
The store will take it back if it comes to that...thats one thing they are good about.

Still, you folks on here are apparently a lot smarter than the people at the fish store so you get final say. :p Is he definatly a pike cichlid?
img_1016736_0_c95f2fccafcc5b30da74e2ef79d22209.jpg
img_1016736_1_4fdf0813d158be2abac590351535ba22.jpg

It looks like that to me. You know that it is not in with good tankmates right? and in a too small of a tank for when it gets fully grown?

Yea, thats why I wanted confirmation on here. I should not have gotten a fish when I had no clue what it was. The person working there had no idea but said it was probably some small to mid size fish..at most semi-aggressive.

He has shown no agression thus far other than a small scuffle with the frog over territory.

It has been eating dried bloodworms, occasional live brine shrimp, and flake food.

I really like the fish, and am attached to it, but I will do what I need to for his safety and the safety of the others in the tank. It did kill all the small snails that were in the tank. (no big deal there..the snails came in on a plant.)

Your fish looks a lot like Crenicichla regani. This is one of the smaller, better-behaved pike cichlids. Do a google search on this species and check it out. (I found one story on: Crenicichla regani.) Also, check out images of your fish against those on the internet - just to make sure it matches okay. (Your photos are a little fuzzy for some coloration characters.)

Tony

Sure looks like a pike to me, although I couldn't tell you which species.

Unfortunately, your LFS seems to have sold you some non-aquatic plants. They'll do ok for a while, but will eventually die and pollute your water. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. :(

Thank you much for the link that was a very interesting article. A problem that I am having when searching for photos is that there are so many types of pike cichlids. Most of them are very similar. I do apolagize for the bad pics.

I am not the best photographer when it comes to fish tanks. I have a Lumix 8.1 megapixel. When I use flash, the tank looks dark and you cant see the animals well. With flash off the pics look fuzzy, but at least you can see them....frustrating.

There should be settings for different lightings. I used auto for forever, and when taking pics of my shrimp, I switched to 3200k, and it turned slightly blue, so I changed to 4000k (white fluorescent) and the orangeness and blueness disappeared, and imo, the pics look better than with my crappy light.

Sure looks like a pike to me, although I couldn't tell you which species.

Unfortunately, your LFS seems to have sold you some non-aquatic plants. They'll do ok for a while, but will eventually die and pollute your water. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. :(

Funny you say that because that bottom one is an old pic. And every plant I had died accept for one.

Its hit or miss at my LFS, only 2 people that work there really know a lot about fish and plants. If they arent there, i usually leave empty handed.

There should be settings for different lightings. I used auto for forever, and when taking pics of my shrimp, I switched to 3200k, and it turned slightly blue, so I changed to 4000k (white fluorescent) and the orangeness and blueness disappeared, and imo, the pics look better than with my crappy light.
Yea, to be honest, I havent really sat down for a while to figure the thing out.

Aside from the relatively elongate body shape, the coloration characters that stood out for me were: relatively small ocellus on the base of the caudal fin; pink stripes on the upper edge of the caudal fin; dark longitudinal stripe on the head and body, which is more intense just behind the eye; and a pale marking beneath the eye. If it's not Crenicichla regani, it looks like it's a closely related species, thus one of the dwarf pike cichlids.

I came across an article on a newly discovered species in the C. regani group, which might be of interest. (It also shows each of the coloration characters mentioned above): Mostly Cichlids - Crenicichla sp. Bolivia Citrus Pike.

Tony

Thanks for all the helpful info tony! I will probably hang on to it for a while then because if it is a dwarf there is no reason to get rid of it.
One thing is for sure:the little fish is a voracious eater.

I am hoping it is a dwarf so I can keep it. Thats what I am leaning toward since he has shown little aggression.

I would like to add 1 more creature to the tank, but I am not sure what would go well with my current stock. Cant get any small tetras because of the frog.

Back
Top Bottom