Julii cory?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishies86

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Can anyone tell me if this is a true julii cory or not?

It was labelled as one, but I've just bought two new ones from a different shop that seen different, both types look different to the picture of a julii cory in my book.

I'll try to get a photo of the new ones when they've settled in a bit, but if someone could id this one for me I've be grateful. Also if anyone has any pointers on how to tell the difference between true and false juliis it would be very helpful. Thanks!

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20111022_130437.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111022_130437.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 141
  • ForumRunner_20111022_134324.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111022_134324.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 127
  • ForumRunner_20111022_134833.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111022_134833.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 133
To me it looks like a false Julii. I've only seen true juliis once, they have smaller and a lot more spots on their head and a different looking body. It's sorta hard to explain but I'm pretty sire that is a false Julii Cory. I'll try to find a picture of a true Julii Cory.

These are the new two, are they juliis? Sorry, it's the best photo I can get.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20111022_185942.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111022_185942.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 128
False juliis do not have clear, distinct dots on their heads, but juliis do. Most of the fish commonly sold as juliis are actually false juliis. I have bought "juliis" from multiple stores, and mine are all false. I think the one in the first picture is a false julii. I cannot really see the head of eaither fish in the second picture, so I don't know.

I have 4 julii corys, well that's what there were bought as and they look different to yours, mine are darker especially around the head area. Unfortunately I haven't got a picture at the mo tho

Your Julii Corydoras

Hello Fish...

I have a lot of Corydoras and my tropical catfish book describes a Julii like this:

Popular name is Leopard Catfish. Max size is 2.5 inches. Overall color is gray with olive stripes. Dark spot on dorsal fin is black. Running through the center of the body are three distinct dotted lines. The small fin directly behind the dorsal fin and the anal fin are dotted, while the dots on the tail seem to be in regular bands. The tail is split into two parts (bifurcated).

Hope this is helpful.

B

I think Its a false juli like I have. I have 6 of them along with 3 long fin...I forgot what their called but they are gourgeous!!!!!!

I think Its a false juli like I have. I have 6 of them along with 3 long fin...I forgot what their called but they are gourgeous!!!!!!
They go by several common names the most common one I have heard is the 3-line corys. Its usually Corydoras trilineatus. The difference there is the head of the tri has a reticulated (swiggly) pattern while the Corydoras julii has individual round dots on its head.

EDIT: Oops, I just realized you meant you didn't remember the name of the long finned guys. Sorry if that was excess info.

BBradbury said:
Hello Fish...

I have a lot of Corydoras and my tropical catfish book describes a Julii like this:

Popular name is Leopard Catfish. Max size is 2.5 inches. Overall color is gray with olive stripes. Dark spot on dorsal fin is black. Running through the center of the body are three distinct dotted lines. The small fin directly behind the dorsal fin and the anal fin are dotted, while the dots on the tail seem to be in regular bands. The tail is split into two parts (bifurcated).

Hope this is helpful.

B

Hmm...this doesn't sound like the corys I have. Their spots are black not olive, and they are silver/white. I wouldn't have called them grey.

Thanks guys for all the info, you've been a great help :) whatever type they are, I think they're beautiful :D

Here's mine, although looking at pictures of julii's mine look different. So any advice as to what mine are would be appreciated.
Sorry for the poor picture quality

Attachments

• image-3419947863.jpg
    image-3419947863.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 135
Here's mine, although looking at pictures of julii's mine look different. So any advice as to what mine are would be appreciated.
Sorry for the poor picture quality
Sorry, but I personally cannot tell from the pictures. Did you see what I posted about telling the difference between a julii and a 3-line?

Back
Top Bottom