Lighting Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rjcatlin

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 20 gallon with a 20 W electronic ballast fluorescent fixture and a 60 gallon with two 17 W regular ballast fluorescent fixture. I have read that anywhere between 1 and 5 W/gallon are sufficient. I have no live plants in either tank. The inhabitants of each tank are:

20 gallon: 1 cory catfish, 2 chinese algae eaters, and 2 fantail goldfish

60 gallon: 1 pleco, 1 clown loach, 1 betta, 2 parrot cichlids, 2 angelfish, and 3 bala sharks

Any suggestions?

In my opinion, you'll be fine with what you have. Lighting isn't as important when you have fish only. I'd put in whatever normal flourescent bulb you can. :)

If you add more light to your tank, you are just begging for an algae infestation. On an unplanted tank, use as little light as you can get by with - i.e. just enough so that you can see your fish in their full color.

Thanks for the input guys. I'll probably just change out the bulbs to 10000 K ones. That's a pretty good all around bulb, right?

10000 k is still close to the daylight spectrum but adds a nice blue hue that you don't get with the 6700. I really like the looks of it and that would be fine for a fish only tank.

Back
Top Bottom