Looking for advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Luma21

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm at college and we are allowed to have up to a five gallon tank and I want to get something for my desk. I have a 60 gallon at home so I'm experienced with the aquatic world. But I know there's lots of discussion about whether or not fish should have a filter/lighting/heating. I do have a pretty bright desk lamp which could give off some heat. But I'm not planning on having a filter. So what could I stock a tank smaller than five gallons with?
I wanna do fish, so no tadpoles, frogs, etc... Thanks for the help!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Shrimp are always a good bet, or you could get a betta.
Some of the dwarf rasbora species could work as well or maybe some Pygmy cories, though I would really prefer a 10g or larger for them. Pygmy sunfish could be another option.
If room temperature can be kept consistent for the inhabitants needs you don't necessarily need a heater. I do have a filterless tank but in that case you really need plants...the BB resides in the substrate and on available surfaces and the plants help to utilize waste materials...or you can do more frequent water changes. it's not too much effort to stick a small sponge filter in there and run it off of an air pump just to be safe.
Good luck at school!

I have a 10g with no heater, filter, or light stocked with least killifish, otos, and RCS. It's heavily planted though.

My smaller fish/shrimp tanks all have sponge filters.

The last male betta I kept was in a 3g with no filter or heater. I had him for over 5 years :flowers:

I have the Current Solo 5g tank. It comes with built in led lights that have a programmable remote and a small internal filter with spray bar. I have 5 corysdoras habrosus and a few dwarf emerald rasboras. I've forgotten how many of those are in the tank. It's extremely heavily planted. However the tank is also under two lamps in my living room so it does grow algae very well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Side view and front view. Petco had them for $99 back in December. Amazon raised their price to about $150 but my independent lfs still has them at $119.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1443047843365.jpg
    1443047843365.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 55
  • 1443047874413.jpg
    1443047874413.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 57
I think every college student has a Betta at some point. I would do a single dwarf puffer. You could even do some plants with it. add some snails and watch him hunt them.

Back
Top Bottom