Making Bettas flare?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChibiRedPanda

Aquarium Advice Regular
I was just wondering if it is safe to make bettas flare. I like taking a small mirror, and putting it in front of him, and watching him flare. I have only done it twice since I got him last night. But I was just wondering if it was safe to do that, (not all the time) because I just fear he might get stressed out.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110723_222513.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110723_222513.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 126
Flossie said:
I believe it does stress them :(

Ok, thanks I was just wondering because I wouldnt want to stress him out... He is like my prized possesion right now. Lol

I read in another thread that it is kinda good for them because it makes them feel like they are the dominant one in their territory.

Somethingclever said:
I read in another thread that it is kinda good for them because it makes them feel like they are the dominant one in their territory.

Oh, ok. I wont flare him too much though...i dont wanna stress him.

Yea, they said like maybe an hour a day or something. I usually do it when trying to get a decent picture, but no more than ten minutes.

Yep, flaring for a little while is fine. It will excise them and keep them entertained. Too much will stress them though, so don't leave the mirror there.

--Adeeb

my males is a bully anyway and flares at just about anything, I can sit here and watch him flare at the one snail he can't kill.

Demonknight said:
my males is a bully anyway and flares at just about anything, I can sit here and watch him flare at the one snail he can't kill.

Lol thats cute but cool, lol

Yeah mine flares a lot on his own so I wouldnt want to make him do it.... Lol

Mine is really curious about my snail. One time he was swimming side ways trying to watch him and ended up flipping upside down haha

bruinsbro1997 said:
Mine doesn't flare for some reason, she likes to play with the other fish instead of try to be dominant over them...

The females flare? Lol - oblivion- I didn't know that!! Haha

We tried to get our Betta to flare with the mirror. He just looks at it. No flaring at all. He also doesn't give a hoot about his tank mates

The females flare? Lol - oblivion- I didn't know that!! Haha

Last female we kept, she would flare at me any time I entered the room and she hadn't been fed in the last 30 minutes. She was such a pig, thought she should just be eating all the time.

Back
Top Bottom