Most peaceful fish for 10 gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
True I guess my panda cory is a runt....she's only about an inch and i've had her for 2 yrs....my green cats have doubled in the year I've had them...maybe she was stunted? I did inherit her in a 10 gal hex :( along with way too many other fish crammed in a dirty tank. At least they have a proper home now in my 30 gal! :)

Panda cories do stay small. Around an inch is the norm for them. But I wouldn't put any cories in less than twenty gallons because of their activity levels. Cories are spazzes.

IMO panda's get too big for a 10 gal. The only cory I would put in a tank that size is corydoras hasbrosus or one of the other dwarfs that is less than 1". Boraras Brigittae aka mosquito rasbora would be a nice choice as well because they are so tiny you can actually fit a proper school size in a 10 gal.

LOL they are freaking TINY. I've been stocking those and the Boraras merah (phoenix rasbora) lately, although I am sold out of brigittae at the moment... anyway, I wouldn't hesitate to put 15-20 of either species in a 10 gallon.

LOL they are freaking TINY. I've been stocking those and the Boraras merah (phoenix rasbora) lately, although I am sold out of brigittae at the moment... anyway, I wouldn't hesitate to put 15-20 of either species in a 10 gallon.

That's what I've heard! I'm about to order 12 of them as part of a mini community for a 14 gal :)

Panda cories do stay small. Around an inch is the norm for them. But I wouldn't put any cories in less than twenty gallons because of their activity levels. Cories are spazzes.

I'd have to disagree. I see pandas on a regular basis that are easily 2". I do think all the cories over an inch should be in 20+ gals, but I think the teeny guys that come in at less than inch still have room to spazz properly in 10+ gals. JMO. :)

i think you should get neon tetras! they're a bit sensitive tho- need a lot of them ('bout 7) and they need an established tank- but they're very peaceful, so any thing can be put wth them really! :D

Neon's aren't my personal fav for a 10 gal. Really because I think if you add 7 neons you shouldn't add much else...they do need a little room to do their thing so to speak and although they are very small a group of 7 can occupy some space.

ember tetras are a great option for a 10g. they would look AWESOME with black sand, and they are tiny, you could easily get away with 15 of them (as long as they were the only stock). i kept 10 of them in my 10g with a flamingo gourami.

I, too, am finally looking to stock my 10g tank (cycle finished yesterday). Besides shrimp (probably RCS and amano), I was going to add cardinal tetras. If I do end up with a proper school of cardinal tetras (6-8), should I not add any other fish?

I saw someone suggest sparking gouramis; don't they get aggressive when mating?

How about dwarf pencilfish as an option for a 10g?

Maybe some nano fish? I wouldn't put anything substantial in size in. I know people would disagree with me and say a betta or a dwarf gourami, but I just don't feel like that gives them enough room.

I don't know about the breeding gouramis..I haven't experienced that.

From what I've read about dwarf pencil fish, they seem to be ideal for a 10 gal in both their size and activity level, but I've never seen them in person so I don't know for sure.

Cardinal tetras are very pretty. Maybe six cardinals, 3 cories(personally think orange lasers or albinos would look good on black sand), and a centerpiece fish.

As for the center piece possibly a dwarf gourami or male betta. I think 3 cories would do just fine in a 10g so long as you keep just a few cardinals and one center piece.

This is my stock list for my 10g. I overstocked it quite a while ago when I was first getting back into the hobby but with diligence and ample filtration/aeration I have only lost 2 fish in the whole process. Lost my dwarf gourami when my heater malfunctioned and my temp dropped to 67F. They're not the most hardy fish. Lost a cory to swim bladder disease.

-3 Cardinal Tetras
-3 Black Neon Tetras
-2 Sunburst Platys
-1 Balloon Belly Molly
-2 GloFish
-1 Emerald Cory Cat
-1 Leopard Cory Cat

Cardinal tetras are very pretty. Maybe six cardinals, 3 cories(personally think orange lasers or albinos would look good on black sand), and a centerpiece fish.

As for the center piece possibly a dwarf gourami or male betta. I think 3 cories would do just fine in a 10g so long as you keep just a few cardinals and one center piece.

i'd have to agree with previous posters and say that cories (other than pygmy or hasbrosus) will get too large for a 10g. IMO it's not their bio-load but their physical size. from my understanding they are quite active as well.

cardinals are gorgeous, but i would personally go with a smaller tetra or rasbora. chili rasboras (if you can find them) are awesome. ember tetras are gorgeous, and perfect for a 10g.

i'd have to agree with previous posters and say that cories (other than pygmy or hasbrosus) will get too large for a 10g. IMO it's not their bio-load but their physical size. from my understanding they are quite active as well.

cardinals are gorgeous, but i would personally go with a smaller tetra or rasbora. chili rasboras (if you can find them) are awesome. ember tetras are gorgeous, and perfect for a 10g.

^^ what she said

Cardinals will do just fine in a 10 gal. I see you have them in your 20 tall and it has an almost identical footprint to a standard 10gal. As for cories, if you don't have a cluttered tank they can thrive in a 10 gal with 2-3 IME.

Cardinals will do just fine in a 10 gal. I see you have them in your 20 tall and it has an almost identical footprint to a standard 10gal. As for cories, if you don't have a cluttered tank they can thrive in a 10 gal with 2-3 IME.

um no, it's not. it's actually 6 inches longer and 2 inches deeper. and my cardinals use every bit of that space. i think if they are in a proper schooling number (7+) they would feel cramped in a 10g. 20g is the MINIMUM i would keep them in. that is IMO. i know there are others on the forum with cardinals in tanks as small as 8g. i'm not saying you can't do it, i'm just saying i wouldn't.

um no, it's not. it's actually 6 inches longer and 2 inches deeper. and my cardinals use every bit of that space. i think if they are in a proper schooling number (7+) they would feel cramped in a 10g. 20g is the MINIMUM i would keep them in. that is IMO. i know there are others on the forum with cardinals in tanks as small as 8g. i'm not saying you can't do it, i'm just saying i wouldn't.

Dimensions for a 10gal = [FONT=Arial, Verdana, sans-serif]24 x 9 x 13

Dimensions for a 20gal tall=
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Verdana, sans-serif]24 x 13 x 17

Its about 4 inches wider. Height has nothing to do with its footprint. As for the "magic schooling number"
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Verdana, sans-serif](and I use the phrase lightly) [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Verdana, sans-serif] for cardinals the widely accepted number for them is 6, so not off by much. Not that they will actually be schooling unless you intentionally introduce an aggressive fish, which I doubt OP intends to with the topic of this thread.
[/FONT]

my cardinals school together often. they are housed only with black neon tetras and a pitbull pleco.

EITHER WAY that is still my opinion. i would not put a school of cardinals in a 10g.

and you may want to do your measurements again. standard 10gals are not 24 inches long.

I would agree on 20 gallons minimum for cardinals, just my personal opinion. I kept mine in a 45 and a 55 for years and they really seemed to enjoy the space.

20 XH has the same footprint as a 10, but mommytron's tank is a 20H and as she mentioned, is considerably different in terms of dimensions. 20L (30"x12"x12") would be preferable for cardinals IMO, but 20H is definitely doable.

Back
Top Bottom