Moving a 55 gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Renewablemommy

Aquarium Advice Regular
Any advice on moving a very established 55 gallon tank? It's about 20 minutes away and has two fish in it currently. My friend has been a little to overwhelmed to keep up with maintenance so she is rehoming the tank and two fish to me.

For that short of a move its not a big deal.

Throw the fish in a bucket
Keep the filter media wet
Empty the tank and decor then move it.
Refill, replace the decor, and then acclimate the fish.

Do you feel like it eould be worth it to try to figure out how to transport the water, or if I can transport a little of the water and keep the BB on the media and filter by keeping it under water would that he enough not to shock to fish and have to cycle all over again? I've never had to move one :/

Do you feel like it eould be worth it to try to figure out how to transport the water, or if I can transport a little of the water and keep the BB on the media and filter by keeping it under water would that he enough not to shock to fish and have to cycle all over again? I've never had to move one :/

Keeping the filter media wet should do the trick. If it would make you feel better, you can get a few 5 gallon buckets with kids and transport 10-15 gallons of water.

I'd make sure the water in both locations is similar. I'd assume if you're that close, it will be. If so, just fill a 5 gal bucket with water, add the fish and the filter media, then get rid of the rest of the water. You can keep the decor in a bucket of water too if you'd like. Then carefully load the aquarium into the car. I like to put some type of padding down like a blanket or towels. It's important to make sure nothing could damage the bottom of the tank. Then, set the tank up at the new location, pour water in, set your filter up, and add fish!

I moved about 30 fish using this technique two years ago, and I plan on doing the same this fall. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

For that short of a move its not a big deal.

Throw the fish in a bucket
Keep the filter media wet
Empty the tank and decor then move it.
Refill, replace the decor, and then acclimate the fish.

+1 i moved
50+ tanks a few yrs back. Just follow these guys instructions and all should be good.

I'd make sure the water in both locations is similar. I'd assume if you're that close, it will be. If so, just fill a 5 gal bucket with water, add the fish and the filter media, then get rid of the rest of the water. You can keep the decor in a bucket of water too if you'd like. Then carefully load the aquarium into the car. I like to put some type of padding down like a blanket or towels. It's important to make sure nothing could damage the bottom of the tank. Then, set the tank up at the new location, pour water in, set your filter up, and add fish!

I moved about 30 fish using this technique two years ago, and I plan on doing the same this fall. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Many questions!
This tank was very clearly not cared for. The filters were DISGUSTING. They had not done water changes in years with the exception of one move. It was nasty. I scrubbed the tank but kept the filters and rocks wet for the move to retain BB. I also put the filters back in as to not restart the cycle.
So my questions...
1. Can I change the filters? Maybe change 1 out of 2. The filters are so disgustingly clogged. But again I do not want to restart my cycle.
2. Is a penguin 350 biowheel even enough filtration realistically?
Thanks!!

1 How many slots are in the filter for media? I tink there are 4 in that filter 2 on each side. If so put the new filters in front of the old one for 2 weeks. Then remove the old ones. Do not replace the bio wheels.

2 I would add a second filter and would suggest an aqua clear 70.

What is the stock?

It does have four spots so I will definitely add two new filters and keep the old ones for a few weeks before trashing them! I'll do more research on that pump system and put that on my list of things to buy! Thank you!
Right now it has a Pleco, an acei cichlid and a yellow lab cichlid. The yellow lab has been bullying the smaller acei so much that he is completely miserable. His fins are shredded, he's lost a lot of his color and he hides in the corner all day. My lfs is helping me find good Separate homes for them. I plan to keep the Pleco and start a good community tank of schooling fish. I want something that will be the centerpiece of my living room and represent peace and tranquility for my family, so as much as I love watching cichlids swim I don't think they're the right choice for my family right now. Any suggestions for fun to watch schooling fish would be very appreciated! My kids really enjoy colorful fish! I'm also hoping to get some really cool and different bottom dwellers for them to watch!
Thanks again for all of your suggestions and advice!!

I honestly think you are way off on the 2 fish I see in the picture. Can you post a close up of each fish? The orange one looks like a midevil or hybrid central American of some kind. The one in the corner could be either African or sa/ca.

The yellow one that I thought was a yellow lab is about 7 inches. The blue that I thought was an acei is about 4 inches

WOW I'm not sure what either of them are. I would say you were right with them being Africans. I would try posting these in the cichlid area for an id.
There are some great African cichlid guys there. If I were to guess I would say the smaller one is a jewel cichlid.

I'm more sa/ca cichlids. I PM someone else to look here and see if he can tell for sure. Knowing will make it easier for you to rehome them. You did a great job moving them and setting everything back up.

I think your right on both though a better pic of what appears to be the estherae would help. These guys are highly aggressive. The jewel is probably getting beat on.

Back
Top Bottom