MST?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Niki

Aquarium Advice Freak
Can you confirm identification?

Attachments

• image-869453872.jpg
    image-869453872.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 78
What are you asking for? Or what exactly is an MST. Do you mean malaysian trumpet snail?

Yea, sorry the pic is dark. It is on the right hand side of the pic. I wanted to know what kind I'd snail it was as it has started reproducing.

It looks like a MTS (malaysian trumpet snails) I personally find them very useful in my tanks to sift my sand and maintain my algae.

Cornstar said:
It looks like a MTS (malaysian trumpet snails) I personally find them very useful in my tanks to sift my sand and maintain my algae.

+1 bad if there is too many though!

Fishie said:
+1 bad if there is too many though!

As long as there is no over feeding there would be no overpopulation. But I don't see any harm of having too much, it may not be visually pleasing but that's about it.

Reactions: HN1
Oh that's good, I know not much food makes it to the bottom bc it's my Cichlid tank :)

Oh this is all good news!

I have ramshorns in one tank and they took over for a couple of months, plus I think they nibble my plants.

These guy are in a different tank, do you think if I added a couple to my tank with ramshorns they would out compete them for food?

I don't think they'd compete much at all, MTS spend a lot of time sifting the sand.

On another note, I've kept a lot of ramshorns and have never noticed them eating any of my plants, and I have a ton of plants.

I have some of these as well. At first I was like, hell no!
But in researching about them I read they can be a good indicator if there is something wrong with the water. If they start heading to the top during the day you should do a water change! But remember it is normal for them to climb at night.
they regulate their own reproduction, if there isn't enough food they don't reproduce. So if you have them be very aware of how much you feed.
I kind of become found of them...sorta. My bigger ones shells are almost 1/4 inch long!

This is good news! I'm glad I won't see them much and I have sand in all my tanks so they will be helpful in sifting the sand.

I thought my ramshorns were eating my plants bc they had holes in some of he leaves...

Back
Top Bottom