Mystery Snail in 10 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Psylk87

Aquarium Advice Activist
I ordered a mystery snail online lastnight and the add says she may or may nto send an additional one incase one days. I really only wnated one and I am going to try to email her but if she does send 2 will two babies be okay in a 10 gallon live planted tank? My filter is for up to 15 gallons and I have 1 betta and 5 neons in the tank. I am worried what to do with this "extra" one because I really dont have any other tank set up I am wanting to set up a 55 gallon in the spring but still planning that. Also I do a 25-30% water change every Sunday.

I got an email back from the lady selling them. She insists on sending two "just incase". However, I was wrong they wont be dime sized the will be BB sized so hopefully they dont end up betta snacks :s.

Havine two Mystery snails in the 10 gallon as it is currently stocked will I need to do more frequent water changes?

Would upgrading to a filter rated for 10-20 gallons be a good idea?

I am kinda worried about the bioload of these little guys. At some point I could prolly move one to a 55 gallon but that wont be till mid summer and I want everything to be okay till then.

I got an email back from the lady selling them. She insists on sending two "just incase". However, I was wrong they wont be dime sized the will be BB sized so hopefully they dont end up betta snacks :s.

Havine two Mystery snails in the 10 gallon as it is currently stocked will I need to do more frequent water changes?
Would a filter rated for 10-20 gallons be a good idea?

I am kinda worried about the bioload of these little guys. At some point I could prolly move one to a 55 gallon but that wont be till mid summer and I want everything to be okay till then.

I always do 50% water changes weekly & haven't had any problems. I have 3 10g tanks with 1 Male Betta, 1 Mystery snail & 2 Nerite snails in each. Being as little as the ones you're getting are their bio load will be smaller than an adult one so your BB should have time to develop & sounds like you'll have the 55g set up before they're adults, that is if your current 10g is well established. You'll want to keep a watch out for eggs otherwise you'll end up with tons of them. They lay eggs above the water line & if they can't they're more likely to escape the tank to lay them. I just found two bunches of them in the hood of my 5.5g & that snails been alone for the last 2 months.

Back
Top Bottom