need help! fish dying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Did more research and I think I may have what is called septicemia.

Mumma.of.two said:
How's it going? Lost anymore?

I lost a black neon tetra this morning. Went to the store to buy a bottle of water conditioner and maracyn 2. It says it treats septicemia so I'm gonna add that after a water change and some salt. See if that works. I've lost half of what was in my tank.

fishdud said:
I lost a black neon tetra this morning. Went to the store to buy a bottle of water conditioner and maracyn 2. It says it treats septicemia so I'm gonna add that after a water change and some salt. See if that works. I've lost half of what was in my tank.

That sucks. Let's hope the treatment works. You've got something nasty going on in there so you gotta hit it with all you got. Good luck!

Mumma.of.two said:
That sucks. Let's hope the treatment works. You've got something nasty going on in there so you gotta hit it with all you got. Good luck!

Thanks! I hope this all works, we will see.

No deaths so far. The medicine must be working!

Okay so i woke up and the remaining fish are still there! The medicine worked!

You will need to do the full course of treatment & consider following with a second course of treatment if theres even the slightest doubt about the health of your fish. Make sure you keep an eye on your water parameters- antibiotics dont distinguish between good bacteria in your filter & bad bacteria. Glad its helping! :)

So it looks like the meds worked for a while. My black neon tetra is at the top of the tank like it looks like It's gasping for air...guess I'll add an air stone.

Mumma.of.two said:
Check for ammonia and nitrite also.

I will now. It looks bloated. It could be the co2 but It's just the black tetra, other fish are fine.

Here's a pic, sorry for the micro bubbles. Hope you can see.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120316_215142.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120316_215142.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 58
Mumma.of.two said:
He does look bloated. You could try a salt bath and feeding a pea. Your doing pretty much everything you can at the moment.

Thanks, It's hard but not giving up. Ammonia looks like It's at 0.50 ppm. That's not good but I read yesterday that maracyn 2 can cause ammonia spikes. Nitrites at 0

fishdud said:
Thanks, It's hard but not giving up. Ammonia looks like It's at 0.50 ppm. That's not good but I read yesterday that maracyn 2 can cause ammonia spikes. Nitrites at 0

Yes, it will do that. It can kill off BB. Since you can't do a water change at the moment you can dose the whole tank with prime to convert it.

Keep fighting!

Mumma.of.two said:
Yes, it will do that. It can kill off BB. Since you can't do a water change at the moment you can dose the whole tank with prime to convert it.

Keep fighting!

Grrr I knew I should've picked up a bottle of prime..guess It's off to the store in the morning! Hope the black tetra survives the night.

What have you got? .5ppm won't really harm anything. If it gets higher you've got a problem. You can do a water change but the % of the medication removed will have to be replaced.

Back
Top Bottom