Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-01-2008, 10:26 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Okay folks. I know that some are very pro UGFs and other are very much against them. Let's keep it to suggesting alternatives and/or giving help on how to maintain them. It's an individual decision that everyone has the right to make, so let's keep it friendly give Soteria the necessary information to make an informed decision.

Purrbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 12:00 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to RJRofFL
Hello soteria.

Sorry to hear of your problems. I truly agree on the pro/con issues and feel a need to address the specifics and set opinions aside.

From what I have read so far, IMO your fish are not the problem. That is indeed an adequate size tank for your bioload.

If I may, please allow me to inquire about a few things to offer clarification where by more informed decisions/suggestions can be offered.

How old is test kit?
What type of test kit (i.e. strips or liquid)?

(strips degrade rapidly once exposed to air)
(liquid test kits expire after 1 year, often earlier)

What are the exact readings, in numbers, of Ammonia, NitrIte, NitrAte, pH?

How often do you test?

How often and how much of a W/C do you perform? (i.e. weekly, 25%-50%)?

How are the fish reacting? Do they gasp for air at top? Stay on the bottom? Do they eat actively? Any signs of aggression? Signs of physical damage?

Just a brief reply to the above would help immensely in allowing for a pattern to be seen and/or enable a much more precise evaluation to be made.
Then a more accurate procedure can be formulated.

Thanks a lot, and I feel certain we can all collectively get you through this.

Bob

Old 10-01-2008, 05:38 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by soteria View Post
the tank has had off-the-chart high ammonia levels from the day I got it.
When did you set up the tank? Did you cycle the tank fishless? Have you always had an ammonia level? What is "off-the-chart" levels (specific amount)?

What are your current readings for ammonia, nitrItes, and nitrAtes? What chemicals do you currently use in the tank? What do you use for a dechlorinator? Have you ever tested your tap for ammonia?

Tags
ammonia, high ammonia

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com