Persistent algae problem!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jed Fish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My 70L tropical tank has had a huge algae outbreak for a couple of weeks now. Its the type that turns the water green, not the type that sticks on things. I tried a full blackout with no feeding for 5 days, worked a bit, but algae came back.

I have never used an artificial light, the tank just gets the morning sun, and it has never been a problem before this outbreak.

My tank only has 7 tetras, 3 corydoras and an apple snail as well as a couple of ramshorn snails. Water parameters are fine. Tank is fully cycled, its a year and a half old. I am getting desperate, its so bad that I cant even see the background :(

too much natural sun and probably high nitrate and phosphate. Perform higher water changes. You can't lower a number down low with 25%

25 is good for normal standards but you need to get low and back down.

My 70L tropical tank has had a huge algae outbreak for a couple of weeks now. Its the type that turns the water green, not the type that sticks on things. I tried a full blackout with no feeding for 5 days, worked a bit, but algae came back.

I have never used an artificial light, the tank just gets the morning sun, and it has never been a problem before this outbreak.

My tank only has 7 tetras, 3 corydoras and an apple snail as well as a couple of ramshorn snails. Water parameters are fine. Tank is fully cycled, its a year and a half old. I am getting desperate, its so bad that I cant even see the background :(

What do you mean by "fine" in regards to your water parameters? Many people have different definitions of fine and without knowing what yours is; it's hard to help.

Green water is a huge pita, it's very difficult to get rid of properly. After fighting with is for a while in my reef tank I eventually just went and bought a UV sterilizer, it was gone 3 days after that and hasn't come back since.

http://www.amazon.com/SunSun-JUP-01...&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=sunsun+uv+sterilizer

It's cheap and effective. It works for killing algae but not much else though.

The natural light is what the big problem is, there's no control and it has a fairly harsh intensity. Without fixing that, a UV sterilizer will only be a band aid covering up a bigger problem.

Since UV was brought I would like to mention the paticular one linked has ~200 GPH. That would move your ~20G tank 10x an hour through there. UV is not particularly effective at these speeds. If you could lower this to 1-2x the size of your tank and hour you'll achieve great results from UV.

Back
Top Bottom