Please give your opinion on my first tropical community tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LillyPad

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
37g Tall Tank
Topfin 40 HOB Filter modded with solid hose intake and poly fiber fill in cartridge instead of carbon
API NEXX Canister Filter
Heater
14 Inch Bubbler w/ Blue LED's
Stick On Thermostat
Plastic Plants
Big Centered Plastic Driftwood
Gravel

7x Black Neon Tetras
3x Silver Dollars
2x Black Angels
2x Pearl Balloon Gourami
1x Dwarf Gourami
1x Senegal Bichir
1x Picktus Catfish
1x Female Marigold Swordtail

Last edited:
Silver dollars and the bichir gets too big IMO. Also the angelfish most likely ate the neons. If not seems very nice. You may have some restocking in the future. Ill edit this post once I reread what you have. If you want to you could copy and paste it over here

The angels may be the culprits but don't count out the black striped tetras if they are black skirt tetras as I have personally had a school of those buggers before irradicate a school of neon and cardinal tetras.

There will definitely be some restocking in the near future. The angels I would either rehome or return. I believe with Angelsyou would want odd numbers so any aggression issues aren't just focused between just two. I would recommend removing the silver dollars also.

I'm not sure on the gouramis but they can get aggressive especially if you have space issues and if they are both males.

My tank is about a month and a half old. Originally had these in my tank aswell:
1x Half Moon Betta (nipped to death by longfin rosy barbs)
1x Powder Blue Gourami (died )
2x Longfin Rosy Barbs (relocated)
1x Male Marigold Swordtail (relocated)
7x Ghost Shrimp

Everyone in my tank is chill at the moment.

The pictus cat may have eaten the neon tetras. We had one who had a thing for guppies. When we put him in, didnt think a guppy would fit in his mouth. Found him one morning belly up with a guppy tail hanging out.

I don't agree about odd numbers of angels in a tank. Let's say u have three, and the odd man out ends up being a male its possible the other male will kill it if spawning happens. Angelfish aren't that aggressive during spawning IME they will chase other fish away but that's all that normally happens the real aggression tends to be towards other angels in the tank.

I agree with the advice already given that the silver dollars and bichir will need to be rehomed. And as librarygirl also brought up you should keep a very close eye on the gourami, as they get extremely territorial toward each other as they reach sexual maturity and could very likely end up killing each other. Just out of curiosity do you have a liquid test kit for your water? If you do do you know your parameters?

Also, welcome to AA!

I have a master test kit from api and I will check the water tomarrow. I did mods today on my top fin 40

Back
Top Bottom