36g Rescape to a Species Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Your tank has come quite a way and looks well laid out.
Your EI schedule looks complicated. Not meaning to be mean. I was under the impression that you add it all on one day and do a 50% WC at the end of the week and repeat. I suppose that is one variation on it.
My PPS pro schedule is 2 mL of macro, micro, and nitrate daily. I generally add nitrate the first couple days after a WC and the fish make up the rest.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

No, you're not being mean!! I had been reading a few different methods. The calculator said to dose the above amounts 2x to 4x a week. Do you think I could get away with dosing once a week if I added the correct amount of nutrients? I know the whole idea of EI is to create a surplus of macro and micro...

And thank you for the compliment! Coming from you, it especially made my day!! ☺️

Oh, you were post #100!!! Congrats, lol

? Diana Lee ?
? the St. Augustine Redhead ?
http://floridaorchidendlers.com

Post #100?!?!!!! Yeah!!!
I have no experience with EI but there are other that may chime in on this.

I can't figure out how to direct reply, but frozen tundra indeed! Even petsmarts are reducing shipments. I heard a story where a shipment of platies to my LFS literally came as a "fish Popsicle". And that bruise looks absolutely nasty! Never expected and injury like that to come out of a CO2 canister.

Aquariums make for a betta world. Wanna discus it?

Picture time!

Planted the AR Mini - loving how bright it is in the foreground.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425251902.661473.jpg

A few other highlights include a juvenile male Endler getting some colors other than black. Hard to see in the icky cell phone pic, but his tail is showing lime green and his belly is blue!
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425251997.238253.jpg

My bruise is now the Ring-o-Kerry:
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425252072.433003.jpg

DC looking good. Been keeping it in at 2 or 3bps.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425252166.228524.jpg

And a full tank shot FTW...

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425252111.120521.jpg

? Diana Lee ?

Catastrophe averted. Woke up this morning and found the CO2 on full blast. DCs were neon yellow. Two 50% water changes and I piped some O2 into the impeller of the HOB to resaturate the water.

Everyone survived!! Phew... ?

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425317012.282573.jpg

? Diana Lee ?

Whaaa happpeen???

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Do you have the regulator on a separate timer (three prong style)? If not, you should. ON one hour before lights on and OFF one hour before lights off.
Also, protect the regulator from unintentional contact (hands, paws), especially the needle valve adjustment knob. Even minute changes can result in big differences in the output.

Whaaa happpeen???

Welll, when I woke up, I heard too much churning in the HOB intake and the darn thing was on full blast! Talk about a panic attack: I was doing PWCs in my birthday suit!!

Do you have the regulator on a separate timer (three prong style)? If not, you should. ON one hour before lights on and OFF one hour before lights off.
Also, protect the regulator from unintentional contact (hands, paws), especially the needle valve adjustment knob. Even minute changes can result in big differences in the output.

It's not on a timer, so there's never off or on. I did that when I realized that 2bps 24/7 was giving me the concentration I needed without harming the fish. And it is in a cabinet under the tank where no one but I touches it. And the last I touched it was two days ago. It was really weird that it happened so suddenly without provocation.

The tank pressure gauge is busted, so I have no idea how much CO2 is left in the tank itself and how much spilled out in the wee hours of the morning...

? Diana Lee ?

Lol. I just might. After the heart attack, let the tank sit and did some tests tonight just to ease my fearful mind.

0/0/15
pH 7.2
dGH 24
dKH 8
P 5ppm
CO2 30ppm
78*F

I turned the CO2 off for the day. Probably won't turn it back on until I have another day off to keep a close eye on it.

? Diana Lee ?

Fluctuating levels will cause issues, you really have to set it on a timer,on 1.5 hrs prior to photo period and off an before lights out..

Fluctuating levels will cause issues, you really have to set it on a timer,on 1.5 hrs prior to photo period and off an before lights out..

So having it on at night could cause issues? I know the plants only synthesize O2 during the photoperiod, but wasn't sure having it on at night would cause the levels to fluctuate so much. Thanks for the input. I think I will save up for another regulator (one that is fully functional) and then get it and the timer at once.

This regulator was Aquatek premium. I contacted them about replacing it since it's less than 2 months old and already broke. We will see if they back up the product. Might have to look for another brand otherwise...

Any recommendations? I'd like to keep it under $250...

? Diana Lee ?

Sorry, but I don't understand all your "accents". I can "speak aquarium" but it's hard to decipher your Co2 "accent". In other words, what is going on? I understand a Co2 canister was set on full blast an fish could have died right?

I think the regulator malfunctioned. One thing one has to be careful with when hooking up a regulator is blowing the seals. I believe both knobs/valves need to be off when the CO2 tank is opened up.
Hopefully AquaTek replies positively to the situation.
I would check out the regulators at Green Leaf Aquariums (GLA). They are a bit costly (models $255 to $650 or more) but there are some in the $250 ballpark.
At night when photosynthesis is not occurring the CO2 can build up.

Sorry, but I don't understand all your "accents". I can "speak aquarium" but it's hard to decipher your Co2 "accent". In other words, what is going on? I understand a Co2 canister was set on full blast an fish could have died right?

The cylinder which holds pressurized CO2 somehow went from a trickle of CO2 bubbles into my tank to a sound akin of a screaming kettle. Basically, the CO2 concentration in the water would have suffocated the fish had I not done the partial water changes when I did. Hence the reason they were done first thing in the morning before I had a chance to put clothes on...

Lill edgy!

Getcha sleeves wet fish tank people!

Edgy? Nah... Natural! ?

I think the regulator malfunctioned. One thing one has to be careful with when hooking up a regulator is blowing the seals. I believe both knobs/valves need to be off when the CO2 tank is opened up.
Hopefully AquaTek replies positively to the situation.
I would check out the regulators at Green Leaf Aquariums (GLA). They are a bit costly (models $255 to $650 or more) but there are some in the $250 ballpark.
At night when photosynthesis is not occurring the CO2 can build up.

Aquatek did reply and their solution was essentially to turn it off then turn it back on again. That didn't solve the problem, so I got my tools out. It seems my tinkering has temporarily solved the problem. My cylinder gauge is registering pressure again and the working pressure gauge isn't flying off the chart. I'm not hooking it back into the tank until I can spend more time on it, though.

From what my cylinder gauge is telling me, I dumped about 2lbs of CO2 during that whole disaster ? I lost half of my 5# tank.

I will definitely look at the GLA regulators. Might save up and get one of the higher end ones just so there's no upgrade costs later on.

? Diana Lee ?

I'm now paranoid.

I have gone out to check on the Endler tank twice since I laid down for bed. I think I'm over-analyzing their nighttime behavior. I'm not usually glued to their tank at this hour, but they seem to be just so still and it's making me restless.

Fish do exhibit a sleep-like behavior during the night, don't they?

? Diana Lee ?

Yup. I find my neons in yhe strangest and smallest spaces after lights out. I use my phones flashlight against the room ceiling to dimly light the tank

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom