Pleco help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Koikeeper99

Aquarium Advice FINatic
image-1663878853.jpg

Wondering what kind of Pleco this is and how big it will get got him at world of fish in Richfield mn it was sold under common Pleco but idk..

Looks common to me and they get to over a foot comfortably. Hope you have a massive tank ;)

Koikeeper99 said:
Wondering what kind of Pleco this is and how big it will get got him at world of fish in Richfield mn it was sold under common Pleco but idk..

Thaaaaat definitely looks like a common, they grow up to two feet long! I have two myself (which I regret) only because petco employees don't know squat about aquariums and at that time I didn't either. I however could be wrong though, if you can provide me with a better quality picture I can tell you if it is or not.

Ya he's about 10" now and yeah I'll try to get a good pic in a sec the light burnt out:/ so it's kinda hard haha and do you know if he'll get 12" or 24"? Or is that just random? Thx!

It's a common. They are manipulative since they are sold as tiny little babies at the pet sore

image-2458238841.jpg
Front view of her and the underview don't know if you can tell by that shot though?

Attachments

• image-648991322.jpg
    image-648991322.jpg
    253.7 KB · Views: 170
Yep a common, from what I've seen they get up to 24"

That's probably why, when the tank is too small for them they stop growing which is called "stunting" this stops the growth an shortens the lifespan of the fish. As far as I know they're freshwater only, I don't think they like salt at all

It looks like he has a Lot of room now so I thought he was fine:/ I'll move him to pond after winter

Could I keep him in a pond year round with a heater in the pond ?

Possibly but I would estimate the cost of a heater powerful enough to heat 1000G plus actually the running costs would be astronomical.

Would strongly suggest returning him personally.

Yeah true but I can't do it had her since she was an inch long one of my first fish ever but if all else fails I'll return her to a store that would take her how big of a tank will you need to keep her for life jw?

Honestly, if I had a fish like that for that long I'd keep it. Commons in my opinion are pretty Hardy and awesome. The two that I have are very nice to the other fish, it may grow really big but I'm still attached. As for winter you can read up on heating the pond any way possible to keep the cost down. Where do you live?

Yeah true but I can't do it had her since she was an inch long one of my first fish ever but if all else fails I'll return her to a store that would take her how big of a tank will you need to keep her for life jw?

Probably 150G would be ideal...maybe able to get away with 120G as plecos aren't constant movers.

Aquavic said:
Honestly, if I had a fish like that for that long I'd keep it. Commons in my opinion are pretty Hardy and awesome. The two that I have are very nice to the other fish, it may grow really big but I'm still attached. As for winter you can read up on heating the pond any way possible to keep the cost down. Where do you live?

USA , Minnesota so winters are pretty cold sometimes

Cynic said:
Probably 150G would be ideal...maybe able to get away with 120G as plecos aren't constant movers.

Ok I'll try to find a cheap big tank like that somewhere

Back
Top Bottom