Puffer and a crab

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wills40litreaqu

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
In a 5 gallon tank would a puffer and a red crab be compatible. If so what type of puffer should I get and how many crabs and puffers would fit and get along? :?

I know nothing about compatibility, so I will address tank size. :)

In general, a 5 gallon tank isn't really big enough for much of anything. I had 5 guppies in one one time, and I'm convinced it was way too small for that. I'd start with at least a 10. But for puffers, I'd go even higher. I don't know how big dwarf puffers get, but a normal sized one would be way too big for even a 10 gallon. I don't know how big red crabs get either, but my point is I would say you'd need bigger than a 5.

But I'm relatively new at this, so I may stand corrected.

-j

Hi wills40litreaquarium,

I am currently doing alot of research on the freshwater puffers because I would like to get some myself. The current (December 2002) issue of AFM (Aquarium Fish Magazine) has a great article on "Captive Care Tips for Freshwater Puffers".

IMHO, Puffers are quite aggressive and don't easily fit into community tanks. (Unless their tank mates are somewhat agressive, slightly larger and considerably faster). Puffers in general are very territorial so only one male unless the tank has plenty of space and hiding areas.

I do know that they love to eat snails and shrimp, I don't know how they feel about Red Crabs.

Dwarf Indian Puffers (Tetraodon Travancoricus) only grow to about 1 inch.
Figure Eight Puffers (Tetraodon Biocellatus) only grow to about 3 inches.
Most others will get too big for your 5 gallon tank.

From what I have found on the internet, only the Dwarf Indian Puffer is purely freshwater, the other "freshwater puffers" actually do better in lightly brackish to full brackish water.

These sites have tons of great information about puffers.
http://www.pufferlovers.com
http://puffernet.tripod.com

You will also find an amazing amount of information if you do a GOOGLE search on FRESHWATER PUFFERS.

If it was my 5g tank, I would get Dwarf Indian Puffers. (1 breeding pair or 1 male and 2 females maximum)

Personally, I am considering 4 Dwarf Indian Puffers (1 male and 3 females) in a 30g. I have 9 (1/2 inch) Tiger Barbs which I will introduce to the tank first and let them get established. Once they are 1 1/2 - 2 inches in size then I will introduce the Dwarf Puffers.

I hope this helps.

Puffers and Crabs, No No No

I have 4 puffers (2 green spotted and 2 indian dwarf). I gradually lowered the salt content until I have purely freshwater and all do fine in it. I keep them all together in a 15 gal, but intend to move the spotted ones as they get to 6 inces long. I recently put 2 red crabs in the tank and the next day one of the crabs had a spotted puffer snack. Puffers are fast, but they tend to rest on the bottom at times making them vulnerable to crabs and such.
Great fish to keep though, very easy. I feed them frozen bloodworms and krill. Once a week I give them some live snails so they can trim their teeth(beaks). I keep a small plastic hex tank for snail breeding, it makes a free food supply for the puffers. They love snails, they crack them open and devour the shell and all. Other great fishes to keep with them are bumblebee goby's and mollies. Thats what I have with mine. I also have a bunch of ghost shrimp in the tank. make sure you have lots of cover, rocks and live plants for them, they like to hide.
Good luck with all.
Chris.

Hi Chris,

A couple of questions. (If you don't mind)
You said;
Other great fishes to keep with them are bumblebee goby's and mollies. Thats what I have with mine. I also have a bunch of ghost shrimp in the tank.

How long have you had these guys :?:

Mollies are virtually bulletproof but how are your Bumblebee Gobys holding up :?:
In the wild they range from freshwater to full marine but I have read that they live longer and do better in a brackish tank (1tsp salt/ gallon).

Also, the Ghost Shrimp, are they pets or feeders :?: I would guess that if your puffers get hungry, those shrimp probably look delicious.

Sorry for all the questions but I am eager to get my Puffers and on a quest to find the ideal tank mates. I love the idea of BBGobies and Ghost Shrimp but I ASSUMED that they wouldn't be compatible.

Some answers

I've had the bumblebee goby's as long as the puffers, so they were gradually weened off the salt too. They seem to be doing fine, very active.
As for the shrimp, they were intended to be food for the puffers as you well guessed, but, the puffers are still too small. So, I keep them all together as co-existing friends, until the puffers get bigger and then the deals off, hahahaha.
As for the health of the tank itself, I have no problems. I break the rules a little when it comes to substrate. Everywhere I have read states that the best substrate is fine sand bottom, but if they come from tributaries, there would be lots of rock. I tried sand gravel, and I tend to avoid it due to the simple fact that it can hide and trap some very dangerous bacteria. So I but a natural looking river bed stone substrate that filters easily. I also have a few otto's in there to help with the algae.
For live plants, I have 1 broadleaf and small sprouts of river grass placed sporadically throughout the tank. I even have one of those tacky captains wheels that turns with the air bubbles.
Lots of hiding places, lots of live plants, realistic river bottom, and you have it. I keep the temp at 74, I've tried 80 as most places suggest, but, they become very sluggish.
I hope all of this helps with your decision to get into puffers. I am an amateur and claim no expertise, but I have not lost one yet and they seem very happy.

Thanks for taking the time to go into detail... Your tank's description sounds awesome.

Can we look forward to some photos ?
Please.

re: photos

I have this crappy generic kensington video camera that takes pictures about as good as a fisher price colouring book, but, I will try to do my best to get some pictures of both my 33 and my 15, along with my little snail hatchery.

Back
Top Bottom