Puffer with Corys?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nothing

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just finished setting up my 10g planted tank and have two panda Cory's in it so far (I'm getting 2 or 3 more, I'm just on vacation right now so I'm adding them when I get back) and I'm looking for a cool tank mate to go with them because there are no middle/top fish, only the Cory's. I went to my lfs and was intrigued by the figure 8 puffer or other small puffers. I've read they can be aggressive with some fish, so would a puffer work in a tank with a small school of Cory's?

nope. Puffers are species only tank. Which means he'll be the only occupant. Also you will eventually have to have him brackish water and cories aren't brackish.

I am pretty sure gourmani's lemon tetras, and neons are also freshwater not brackish. If you google, figure 8 puffers are brackish water and for species only tanks. I would listen to Scotty! Puffer get real big.

Thanks everyone! A dwarf gourami was my other possible option. I've always liked how they looked.

I just finished setting up my 10g planted tank and have two panda Cory's in it so far (I'm getting 2 or 3 more, I'm just on vacation right now so I'm adding them when I get back) and I'm looking for a cool tank mate to go with them because there are no middle/top fish, only the Cory's. I went to my lfs and was intrigued by the figure 8 puffer or other small puffers. I've read they can be aggressive with some fish, so would a puffer work in a tank with a small school of Cory's?

5 Pandas would be pretty heavily stocked for a 10g. So 1 Dwarf Gourami. You can try Ghost Shrimp. Or you could do a small 4-5 group of Ember Tetras or Celestial Pearl Danios.

Do NOT overheat Pandas. Keep them under 75 to be safe. 80f tends to kill them.

Hey now- as a puffer owner who has done a TON of research on the issue, here's some good news- Dwarf "pea" puffers are tiny AND fully freshwater- plus, since your pandas are bound to be bigger than him- I mean only one, seriously- you're not in the no no zone, but rather the use caution zone. It can work, I swear.

Hey now- as a puffer owner who has done a TON of research on the issue, here's some good news- Dwarf "pea" puffers are tiny AND fully freshwater- plus, since your pandas are bound to be bigger than him- I mean only one, seriously- you're not in the no no zone, but rather the use caution zone. It can work, I swear.

Puffers tend to Harass and nip fins on other fish, larger or not. Esp in small tanks there isn't enough room to escape.

Many of my planted tank club members have Pea Puffers or have tried them. Have a backup plan if you try one.

Dwarf puffers do not need brackish, figure 8 do, but there are freshwater only puffers

I agree- dwarf puffs are freshwater, but there is a VERY common misconception that green spotted, pink eyed, mbu and the like are freshwater because they need to start their lives in freshwater- most will want to transition to brackish by the time they are about an inch and some will want to transition to full marine at 4 inches. I just don't a) people impulse buying certain commonly distributed 'freshwater' fish without at least giving a warning- these guys are hearty as can be, but to give them the longest and happiest life possible understanding their lives natural order in the wild.

Once again- yes dwarf Indian puffers, pea puffs and only a small handful of other puffers can survive in full fresh- point being, make sure you do your research first- especially with an oddball species like the puffer.

my two dwarf puffers are great. I believe they are both female, so that may be why they get along in their 10 gallon tank. They leave their 5 ghost shrimps alone as well.

A male dwarf puffer is more likely to be aggressive than a female, I believe. My two females only get nippy during feeding time, so be prepared for that.

Back
Top Bottom