Red tail shark fish killer :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

senorkevin

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just came home to find my shark fish eating 2 guppies:(
Why is that?
I remember years ago when my dad had a tank and the same thing happened. The person who sold us the fish said this wouldn't happen.

Red tails are pretty darn aggressive when old and unless kept with fish same size or bigger they are a very real threat to small(er) fish. Sorry about your loss, hate losing fish.

You should bring your guppy carcasses back to the store that sold you the shark

Another example of the LFS either being ignorant or flat out lying to make a sale. As previously mentioned red-tail sharks can be incredibly aggressive when they get bigger. I was at a chain store one time looking at fish when I overheard a customer returning one that had killed half his tank. He was angry because the previous salesperson had told him they were only aggressive with other red-tailed sharks. The young lady that processed the return was clearly no fish expert because she placed the shark in a tank with a bunch of juvenile balloon mollies. Before I could say anything it swallowed one hole and had started nipping on a second. She fished it out so quickly she almost tossed it on the floor. I no longer ever trust LFS or anyone who stands to profit from selling me fish or dry goods. I finally found a LFS that I pretty much trust but only by going to half a dozen and being given either bad advice or outright lied to.

I have taken it back to the pet store and the best of it is that it is a national pet store and not local. I won't be buying fish from there again as now I don't trust them.

The should have never sold you that fish with your tank size. They just set you up for that they need a 50 gallon or 190liter tank. My best advice is to figure out what fish you like and then research their needs. This is one of my favorite site for fish info.
Freshwater Fish: Freshwater Tropical Fish Species for Tropical Fish Tanks and then cross it with your current stock on AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor It will give you a decent idea of what you can do with your tank as far as stocking goes.

Rainbow sharks aren't as aggressive but can be territorial. If the dorsal fin and tail fin is red then it is a rainbow shark. If only the tail fin is red, then it is a red tail shark.

The dorsal and tail fin were red. I was happy playing in between the plants then all hell broke loose.

They can become stressed in a smaller tank and turn even more aggressive than normal. Research all fish before buying. I have ended up with a huge fish after I was told it would get 3 inches, not 6+" and a mouth the size of a Grand Canyon. So far he hasn't become aggressive but I am watching for it!

I confused the fish with another fish with a similar name, which I also though would be about 3", so I didn't think twice about what the lfs said. Oops! She still might have to go to a friends tank if she keeps growing.

I had a great Redtail Shark which was over 6" long and over 7 yo before she passed away. Never saw her be aggressive with my small fish. Though she would cruise around behind them to get them out of "her" space. (72G tank so lots of room to call her own.) One of my most favorite fish.

Back
Top Bottom