Rummy-nosed tankmates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishyrican

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 55 gal with about a dozen rummy-nosed tetras. The tank has sand substrate and plastic plants. I am looking for fish that would make good tankmates for the rummies. The rummys spend their time in the bottom half of the tank, which makes the tank look somewhat empty. I need something that will fill up the top half of the tank and not fill itself up on my rummys. Any ideas?

First I would like to say, beautiful tank!

Without knowing your preferences it is hard to suggest...but maybe hatchets or male endlers?

Thanks! I actually thought of some hatchets, but I am afraid they'll carpet surf since they are jumpers. The canopy on the tank does not fully open (it has a small slim door), so I have to remove the entire canopy to do maintenance such as water changes. I'm afraid I would lose some hatches if I did that.

As for the endlers, I'll have to do some research. I'm not sure what they are. :oops:

If you are looking for upper level fishes consider goruamis. A few dwarf gouramis would look lovely in that tank. :)

Nice tank, love the stump. 8)

The plants look lifel ike in the sand, especially the foreground ones. Can I ask what brand they are as my brother is debating on going with live or plastic?

I agree with Angels or dwarf cichlids. Rummy nose will get along fine with any non-agressive fish. I use to keep a school of them in my planted Discus tank. If you are up to it that thant tank looks like it would be a great home for up to 4 discus assuming your water chemisty and filtration are in line with keeping discus.

Other tetras I kept with mine include red serpe, lemon, glo-lite and cardinal tetras. Dawf neon gourmis look nice as well.

Really is all depends on your preferrence. Here is a great site to get some ideas about fish types and temperment:

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/categ.cfm?pcatid=830

HTH,

Thanks for all the compliments! Would there be too much filtration in the tank for angels? I have an XP3 and an Eheim Wet-Dry. Also, how many could I put in there?

First, there really is no such thing as to much filtration within reason. :)

I agree with above, could probably even go with an even 6 small to med angels to stat out with which would leave room for a few other small fish. Stay away from neons with angels, but cardinals are OK.

Afilter, I forgot to answer your question about the plants. They are a combination of www.drsfostersmith.com and the LFS, depending on what was on sale. Most of the plants came from when I had the 55 at work and they were purchased with my decorating budget. The rest came from the 44 gal corner tank that I merged with the 55 when I took it home.

Back
Top Bottom