Serpae tetras???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kmny34

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 90 gallon planted tank with: 4 angelfish
5 denison barbs
1 bn pleco
1 siamese algae eater
1 kribensis
3 otos
12 rummynose tetras

And i want to get a group of 10-12 serpae tetras!!!

Will they be fine with my angelfish???

Sent from my SM-N900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The reason i ask is bc ive heard that they can b nippy with longer finned fish.

But ive also heard that if u have a school of 6 or more that they arent nippy at all!!?

I have 6. They actually nipped the tail fin off of one of my Cardinal tetras :/ I know it was them because I saw them chasing then we went out to dinner came back and the same Cardinal has most of his tail gone :(

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I was told wild caught angles are more aggressive than captive bread ones? You might want to look into that.

I was told wild caught angles are more aggressive than captive bread ones? You might want to look into that.

Im not worried about the angels. Im worried about the serpaes nipping my angels

I have 6. They actually nipped the tail fin off of one of my Cardinal tetras :/ I know it was them because I saw them chasing then we went out to dinner came back and the same Cardinal has most of his tail gone :(

How big is your tank?
Is it planted heavily??
If you dont mind me asking bc ive heard that serpaes are great community fish in large well planted tanks!

I haven't had a good experience so far with any large bodied tetra broadly stated. They tend to be just extremely Nippy and chase Everything IME. I had diamond tetras for a while and they were absolutely gorgeous but they had to go when my Otto was being chased and got half of his tail bitten off and he couldn't swim so well!!!. It has since healed which I'm stoked about but no more mean guys in my tank...not to mention good luck feeding any bottom feeders ;)

Also read this. I did some quick google snooping.
http://www.fishchannel.com/fish-species/freshwater-profiles/serpae-tetra-2.aspx

29g Community

3g Betta

How big is your tank?
Is it planted heavily??
If you dont mind me asking bc ive heard that serpaes are great community fish in large well planted tanks!

Mine is a 55g. Decently planted. The one corner is especially thick with water wisteria. Behind the right corner is filled with anubias nana

http://i.imgur.com/IVvCoIQ.png

And this was also taken after I stole some plants for a new tank- so when they nipped the cardinal there were more plants (especially moss) in there

Back
Top Bottom