Stocking 55 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Petsmart carries Jack Dempseys, Green Terrors, and Angel fish but you have to go somewhere that is only fish to find an Electric Blue Jack Dempsey.

Your best bet is asking your lfs if they can order them making sure they know that you will pay top dollar. If they cant, petsmart should sell jack depmseys, but green terrors are harder to find and more beautiful IMO/E. If petsmart doesnt have them then your best bet is to order your own online.

I have purchased Green Terrors, Jack Dempseys, and Angelfish from Petsmart so they should have them! What are you planning on getting??

Lucky.. My petsmart has never had any GTs :( but they do have a nice selection of JDs. And my lfs rarely has GTs which is why i snagged my male as soon as i saw him

Yeah males have better colors and I think the hump on their head looks boss! But couldn't he do a JD and a GT?

vanimal said:
Yeah males have better colors and I think the hump on their head looks boss! But couldn't he do a JD and a GT?

Yeah males are stunning. I agree the nuchal hump is amazing! And yes you "could" do it but would i advise u to.. Probably not. For some reason most people that keep a JD and GT have horrible luck. I guess there just two of those fish that dont mix. But like i said, add a senegal bichir or two and they add tons of life to the tank. Maybe even try some tiger barbs?

Petsmart does carry EBJDs from time to time. Definitely get one that has a little size on it for best results. I bought mine at about 3" and never had any serious problems with him. He was a little pricey but then again so are other cichlids that are bigger than the usual.

Can you post some pics of him?? I saw some at my local lfs that were about 2 inches for $20.

Mine was 29.99 at a LFS, which I thought was expensive, but he's been great. This is a pic when I got him
img_2013994_0_2b3b3f39ed6442ef3e0e309f1adb2259.jpg

and a few years later.
img_2013994_1_0eac07becf87258131fec3e94d83673c.jpg

img_2013994_2_2d44d8879649fccb0eca9842c94fbad1.jpg

I did treat for internal parasites when I first got him but otherwise no. I kept him with some juvenile JD's but as they got older they turned on him and nearly killed him one day. At that point I kept him separated and now he's just with a smaller female JD, they breed every few weeks but I don't usually save the fry since they are blue gene and not EBJD fry so there's not much demand.

Blue gene are those purple looking JDs u see that are really dark. Electric blue are the light blue ones that you see in the pics above. Is there a chance that they could spawn and have EBJD babies?

No. Blue gene jack dempseys are nearly identical to regular jack dempseys, the only difference is they have the electric blue gene. So if you breed them together or with an EBJD they will have a percentage of electric blue offspring.

jetajockey said:
No. Blue gene jack dempseys are nearly identical to regular jack dempseys, the only difference is they have the electric blue gene. So if you breed them together or with an EBJD they will have a percentage of electric blue offspring.

Oh i thought i learned once that there were gold gene and blue gene dempseys.. Gold being the lighter ones.. And the EBJD mutation derived from the blue gene. Then again your probably right cause i do not know that much about JDs

An electric blue Green Terror would be AMAZING! Too bad that probably would never happen...

vanimal said:
An electric blue Green Terror would be AMAZING! Too bad that probably would never happen...

Haha check my thread on "OFF TOPIC AQUARIA" Called "Name your Hybrid

Back
Top Bottom