Stocking question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DagothUr

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Well, as of Wednesday, I now have three residents in my 70 gallon tank: A red-tailed black shark, clown loach, and a yellow lab... I've had them all for around a year or so now, they've been doing great. Wednesday, my Raphael cat passed on (poor guy been there since the start), and I've been thinking about getting a new fish or two in the tank. Just wondering how much space I have in the tank, I'm not to good at figuring that out.

not sure if it will fit (someone else that knows better will come along) but if it would work, i would recommened one or two more clown loaches. I am sure that you know they are schooling fish, and your exhisting loach will appreciate the company, if your stocking will support it.

I am not good and figuring out stocking lists with larger fish, especially since I do not know the adult sizes of any of your fish except the clown loach. You might also consider upgrading as your loach gets larger, tanks in the 150g range have been recommended to me for mine.

HTH

The Clown would love company of his own kind. They generally do much better in shoals. But, they really need closer to 120 gln. tank for maturity. They do grow slow and a 70 gln. is a nice size --- if it's a real probability that you could upgrade in a year or so you could add another Clown or two.
No more sharks as the RedTail will own the tank. (You could do Bala's with him but the tank isn't near big enough for them.) RTBS are great fish - we love ours but he is the only fish I have that shows aggressive tendencies (that's normal) so keep an eye on him.
The Yellow lab is the fish you have to worry the most about mixing others with. I believe that some of the more aggressive Barbs would work with him. Here's a site that will give you some ideas of other compatible fish:http://www.timstropicals.com/Inventory/African/ElectricYellowInfo.asp.
Good luck.

You've kind of mixed a cichlid tank with a community tank and a semi-aggressive tank. I'd choose what kind of tank you want this to be. If you want a cichlid tank, I'd consider taking the clown loach to the LFS and getting more yellow labs. If you have a male, get about 4 more females. If its a female, get a male and about 3 more females. Then you could also add some Red Zebras. I'd add some rock to the tank if you don't already have some.

If you want it to be a semi-aggressive tank, I'd take the yellow lab to the LFS and get some tiger barbs or Serpae tetras....or both.

If you want a community type tank, you would still need to take the lab back and get a few more loaches (remember you'll have to upgrade eventually though) and some big bodied tetras...Congos maybe...or Buenos aires (could also go in semi-aggressive tank).

I just don't think the 3 fish you have belong together.

Yeah, I got the yellow lab from a friend who enlisted in the Marines last year, figured I'd at least give it a good home, even if only temporarily. I don't really know anything about cichlids. I'm not sure if my LFS will take him off my hands, however.

*EDIT* Actually, come to think of it I have a 20 gallon tank in the garage... I was going to set it up as a QT tank... but do you think the yellow lab will be ok in a 20? Or will he grow too big for it?

Yellow labs grow to 5"-6" so I don't think it could house him in the long run. However I've had one for at least a year or so and he's not nearly that big. So you would have a little while before he got too large.

I think the 20g will be too small. He'd probably be lonely too.

Hmm....I guess you could just get more yellow labs. Maybe the loaches would be ok in there with the cichlids. I'd get 3-4 more labs...try to sex the one you have first though.

Then get a couple more loaches, if you plan to eventually upgrade the tank.

Back
Top Bottom