Tanks cycled, but can't add fish till the weekend

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Barliman

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi all,

My 20-L was cycled a week to 10 days ago and ready for fish, but I was giving the plants time to root before adding fish, which I can't do until this weekend. Should I have been feeding the bacteria with a little ammonia in the meantime? If so, how much? :confused:

I think you should have been providing something (like 1-2 ppm daily or every other day) just to sustain it. You still have a BB population, it just may be less than it was a week and a half ago. This close to the weekend MAYBE 1 ppm tonight. Do a water change before the new fish are introduced and don't stock too much this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I think you should have been providing something (like 1-2 ppm daily or every other day) just to sustain it. You still have a BB population, it just may be less than it was a week and a half ago. This close to the weekend MAYBE 1 ppm tonight. Do a water change before the new fish are introduced and don't stock too much this weekend.

That's what I thought, thanks. Live and learn. (y)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Beneficial bacteria can live up to a month without dying off. The entire BB population of the tank wouldn't even blink at a few days without available ammonia.

Back
Top Bottom