Transporting Fishes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

supermazz9

Aquarium Advice Activist
Just wondering how folks like to package their fish for transport. I've got some glowlights that need a new home...soon.

I was figuring to just use a ziplock. Tough plactic, good seal. Any other ideas?

yes, how long's the trip and how big are the fish? I have LARGE fish and i used big rubbermaid tubs from walmart!!!!

Nothing is big, if I get rid of my biggest fish, that's only 1.5 inches...

And my longest trip even in really bad traffic would only be one hour tops.

As a rule for the Calgary Aquarium Society, no fish is allowed at auction in any bag other than a standard plastic bag found at the LFS. At first, I thought it was odd, but after helping out at a few auctions, I realized that was a very important rule. I strongly recommend a bag from the LFS and a rubber band to seal it for small fish transport.

What's the reasoning behind that? If it took a little bit for you to figure out why, perhaps you could enlighten the rest of us?

The plastic is stronger and also no seams on the sides to split. Also the bottom seam is stronger.

Fish bags are taller and narrower, too, so more air is easier to get in the bag in proportion to the proper amount of water.

A one hour trip with fish is no problem. I've made two seperate trips at 2 hours each with fish and no problems.

Just keep them out of direct sunlight. I put mine in one of those cheap styrofoam coolers, in a fish bag of course. Just ask your LFS for one or two. I'm sure they wouldn't mind.

I'm going to be moving a 30gal, a 29gal, 2x10gals, a 5.5gal, and a 7gal Minibow in a coupe of weeks. 8O

I'm dreading that move.....but at least I will finally have the space to set up my 55gal malawi cichlid tank. :D

Back
Top Bottom