What is your favorite stocking list?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishfanatic

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am working on setting up a 75 gallon FW planted tank, and I need some ideas as far as fish stocking goes. I am replacing a 40 gallon with the 75 so if I could work the current stock list into the stock of the 75 that would be great (if not I can always relocate them)
My stock list in my 40 gallon is:
2 rossy barbs
3 Kerri tetras
1 silver hatchet fish
2 neon tetras
2 SAE
1 GBR
3 gardneri killifish
10 nerite snails
And some amano shrimp
My plan is to ether a.) Pick a few of these fish from the list above and add to them. b.) Re home all of them and start over. c.) I am open to suggestions

Thanks for your time!

First thing is I would make sure you do not mix your Gardneri's with any fish with flowing fins or even livebearers. I breed them and I must say, they aren't great community fish. I keep them in a species only tank or with fast moving short finned schoolers like danios or rasboras.

siva said:
First thing is I would make sure you do not mix your Gardneri's with any fish with flowing fins or even livebearers. I breed them and I must say, they aren't great community fish. I keep them in a species only tank or with fast moving short finned schoolers like danios or rasboras.

Really? I haven't had any problems. I actually only have one gardneri the other 2 are a similar killifish but they are orange (I wish I could remember the name). Are the orange ones aggressive as well?

Attachments

• Australe.jpg
    Australe.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 96
Oh that's Aphyosemion. They are quite beautiful. I hope to have some tank space for some soon. I think they are better suited to communities, but I can't say for sure since I haven't kept them yet. Many killies do great with other fish, but the Gardneri's are paticularly nippy. I've had to remove shredded female bettas and guppies as well as platties with nearly no tails left after mixing them with Gardneri's (before I got to know their temperment of course). They do a jeckyl and hyde on you too...they act like everything is fine and they are totally peaceful and then when the lights go out..watch out! lol

id get the barbs,tetras,and hatchets up to good schools before i added anything,then id find out if a rainbow shark was compatible

siva said:
Oh that's Aphyosemion. They are quite beautiful. I hope to have some tank space for some soon. I think they are better suited to communities, but I can't say for sure since I haven't kept them yet. Many killies do great with other fish, but the Gardneri's are paticularly nippy. I've had to remove shredded female bettas and guppies as well as platties with nearly no tails left after mixing them with Gardneri's (before I got to know their temperment of course). They do a jeckyl and hyde on you too...they act like everything is fine and they are totally peaceful and then when the lights go out..watch out! lol

I did some research on the aphyosemion and everything that I read said that they are great community fish. I will relocate the one gardneri (or get another tank lol)

Well if you've never had a problem with that specific fish so far it might not be necesary. Might be a good idea depending on what you decide on adding. Are you going to run the 40 gal and the 75 gal?

alLexX said:
id get the barbs,tetras,and hatchets up to good schools before i added anything,then id find out if a rainbow shark was compatible

I am not going to have any barbs in this tank (the rip up my hc).
I guess I will give a list of fish I was thinking about then you guys and gals can tell me how many of each I can have
Here goes:
Silver hatchet fish
Kerri tetra
SAE
Aphyosemion (I think that is what the orange killifish is called, I can't check because I am using the app)
GBR
Thread fin raindow
And possibly a school of hlequine rasboras (spelling?) If there is room.

siva said:
Well if you've never had a problem with that specific fish so far it might not be necesary. Might be a good idea depending on what you decide on adding. Are you going to run the 40 gal and the 75 gal?

No my parents will only let me have one or the other, so I will just be running the 75 :(

Back
Top Bottom