What liquid were these Bettas in?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

I was at my local Petsmart yesterday. I had a look at the Bettas on the shelf, and the "water" they were in had some sort of bluish addition to it. It almost looked like Windex, though not quite as intense in color. What was it?

They keep their betta's in such horrible conditions that they generally always die. Their hope is that they sell them fast enough before that happens. They keep them in anti-biotic water to help delay the fraying of the fins and stuff until people buy them.

Betta's are the new goldfish. :( :(

I agree they keep bettas in lesss than a cup of water at walmart their policy is sell them before they die. it stinks

Dan :)

I hate the way people sell bettas. It's unfortunate that bettas are so hardy too! I've seen some in those little cups for ever. I'm about to go save one at my local lfs once i finish putting together my 10g planted tank.

Most petstore bettas are sold in an absurdly small cup of dilute fish urine. :roll:
If you're lucky, you may also get some poop or some decomposing food swirling around on the bottom of the cup.

I'm just being cynical because I haven't had much luck with petstore-bought bettas lately. :(

This is getting gross folks. We all know that bettas are not well cared for in the LFS and super pet stores. The question was answered, now go help others.

fishfreek said:
Ok folks. Lets get back on track here.

What track was that? Why make that statement and then not provide anything to the discussion?

I don't think the bluish tint was methylene blue. The shade was not consistent with it.

On the topic of keeping boatloads of bettas on a store shelf: have you ever noticed that it always seems to be on the endcaps, between aisles? I have often thought, "what would happen if I were to trip and knock this shelf to the floor?"

I just rescued a sickly crowntail (the second one i've found at that specific lfs). I guess the rescue wasn't completely just for his sake....

actually.....yes the cup is rather small, but at my store the water is changed at least twice a day. So it's not nearly as bad as it looks.

I for one buy bettas that are in sick conditions and nurse them back to health.

Dan

that is how I got my three females, they looked horrible and were going to be thrown in the trashcan when the next shipment would come the following day (they spent two weeks on the shelf :| )

Back
Top Bottom