what to do with a 55gal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jrp1588

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm planning on putting in a small pond in the yard this spring for my militaristic little red eared slider, Bismarck. It'll be a 100gal preformed clack plastic one. Fist of all, if you know anything about ponds, please give me a hand and take a look at this thread.

Now, this is going to leave his 55gal open...A side effect I hadn't really considered until now. I figure I've got a few options.

1) I could make it a growout tank. Currently my only growout is a 29gal. This would let me raise a good deal more fish...if I can ever get the things to survive at all that is. haha.

2) I could make a discus tank. Discus are foreign territory to me, and frankly they scare the crap out of me, but dang they are pretty. If you think I should get discus, I have a few questions. How many should go in a 55gal? Do I need ro/di? I've looked into ro/di water and it simply sounds way out of my budget, not to mention a pain in posterior.

3) Another planted tank with angels and such. I already have a 75gal right next to the 55 gal that is just like this, so I'm not too keen on this idea.

4) African cichlids. I used to have these in my 75gal. They were cool for a while, but got old quick. Other than the colors, they all look and act the same. Not very dynamic.

5)Big fish. An oscar or something? Though, I'm not sure a big oscar would have room to turn around in a 55gal. They are only 12" deep. Plus I like to decorate my tank nice...so I dunno.

6) FOWLR. I'm way too poor for a reef...ever. I'm probably too poor for saltwater in general. Convince me I can set it up for under $200 and I'll think about it. lol

7) Massive shrimp colony. I don't think my girlfriend would ever want to go into my room again, sorry shrimp lovers.

8 ) your ideas

I would go for a nice species tank.

55 gallon is big enough to do many cool fish.

I like Oscars
Fresh water sharks
I nice flower horn or green terror.

If you want to do another planted could always do Rainbows if you have not done them.

I like those a lot

Back
Top Bottom