Turtle pond?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jrp1588

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've been toying with the idea of putting in a small pond for my red eared slider. It would just be a small 100gal preformed pond like this one. I've never done anything involving ponds though, so I'm clueless. Do I have to filter the water? If so, how do I filter it? What would be a good basking area for him? I suppose I could try to find a log or something big enough. What would be a good way to keep him from escaping? I'm thinking a short wall of landscaping bricks or something. I'm assuming I'd need to bring him in for the winters. I've read they can hibernate underwater somehow as long as it doesn't freeze solid, but I think that volume of water would probably freezehttp://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=56569-000001569-LP7918&lpage=none

I've been toying with the idea of putting in a small pond for my red eared slider. It would just be a small 100gal preformed pond like this one.
Looks fine to me. My only concern would be if he tried to dig through they bottom.

I've never done anything involving ponds though, so I'm clueless. Do I have to filter the water? If so, how do I filter it?
A simple sponge filter that they sell for ponds should be fine. I would also throw in some quick growing stem plants (anacharis) that can be thrown out periodically to get rid of excess nutrients. Depending on how messy he is you might need to do periodic water changes.

What would be a good basking area for him?
I suppose I could try to find a log or something big enough. What would be a good way to keep him from escaping? I'm thinking a short wall of landscaping bricks or something.
Sounds good to me. A log where he can stay partially submerged and then a sandy land portion within the brick enclosure should be fine. From what I have seen in the wild, turtles are fairly good diggers/climbers. I am not sure if you would need something around the base of the wall to keep it in.

I'm assuming I'd need to bring him in for the winters.
Yes.

I've read they can hibernate underwater somehow as long as it doesn't freeze solid, but I think that volume of water would probably freeze
Yes

he does enjoy digging, but I don't think he could do much damage to a plastic container. What if I get one of those pond heaters that keeps the surface from freezing over? Could I keep him out all year long then?

he does enjoy digging, but I don't think he could do much damage to a plastic container. What if I get one of those pond heaters that keeps the surface from freezing over? Could I keep him out all year long then?

Maybe, but probably not. I think you would waste a lot of money heating the pond, and risk the turtle climbing out in the winter.

I think your best bet would be to move him indoors to live or perhaps you could even trick him into hibernating somewhere cold in your house like the basement or a poorly insulated closet on an external wall.

mk, well I'm got another year to figure out that part. If nothing else I could just put him in a big rubber-made container with a heater and a clip on light or two.

Back
Top Bottom