Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-29-2004, 05:32 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

What would you put in a 16 gallon tank?

Hi all. I aquired a 16g tank and am looking for suggestions on what to put in it. I would like something really colourful. I've been looking at a male betta, but I want more then one fish. What'd think?

Old 08-29-2004, 06:57 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I had a male betta a long time ago, and I had one of those little aquatic frogs in with him. They are really fun to watch.

Old 08-29-2004, 07:02 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via ICQ to nyghtone Send a message via AIM to nyghtone Send a message via MSN to nyghtone Send a message via Yahoo to nyghtone
I would recommend a couple Killifish, some of them are super hardy and colorful, and can live without heaters as long as you maintain healthy water...

HTH, Joshua...

www.nyghtone.com
nyghtone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 08:49 PM   #4

Hmm, I looked up the Killifish and they are pretty, but they seem to be hard to get. I will look for them though, thanks! Any other sugestions?
Old 08-29-2004, 08:53 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to Ryne Send a message via Yahoo to Ryne
I have a tall 15 gallon aquarium and it's overstocked but here's its inhabitants:
1 Keyhole Cichlid
1 Emperor Tetra
1 Oto
1 Guppy
2 Peppered Corydoras
3 Lemon Tetras
1 African Dwarf Frog

I got a bunch of plants in there too. Everything is doing very very well, never been a serious problem that I haven't taken care of. If you really want, send me your email and I can send you a picture of the aquarium along with whatever info you want.
Old 08-29-2004, 09:34 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to glasstapper
find the fish youd like to keep then do the reasearch on thier requirements, a lot of the things said about size of tank to size of fish is truly subjective, thats all ill say on that cause it'll start a fight, but find the fish you truly want then see if you have the space and water requirements to keep that kind of fish,,,,, good luck
Old 08-29-2004, 09:51 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have a beautiful betta in with some platys. They seem to get along just fine. In fact, they really seem to enjoy each other's company. In a week or so I am going to try to move my otos in with them. So we will see how that goes.

verucaproduce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 10:04 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to Ryne Send a message via Yahoo to Ryne
If I could, I would redo my aquarium with a pair of Rams, a butterfly fish (hopefully it wouldnt get out), the frog, algae eating shrimp, and some time of schooling fish that is too big for the butterfly fish's mouth.
Old 08-29-2004, 10:22 PM   #9

What about a Betta with a couple of Gold Gouramis? I've seen conflicting info. Some places say they may aggravate the make Betta as they are both air breathers, but others say they are fine. perhaps it would just depend on the individual fishes personality? Would Bettas also get along with Loaches? There's one I saw that was like an eel (sorry, I've forgotten the name) and it was recommended for smaller tanks. Being a bottom feeder, would they be okay in there too? The tank is a tall tank if that makes a difference.
Ryne, pm sent
Old 08-30-2004, 06:11 PM   #10

Quote:
What about a Betta with a couple of Gold Gouramis? I've seen conflicting info. Some places say they may aggravate the make Betta as they are both air breathers, but others say they are fine. perhaps it would just depend on the individual fishes personality? Would Bettas also get along with Loaches? There's one I saw that was like an eel (sorry, I've forgotten the name) and it was recommended for smaller tanks. Being a bottom feeder, would they be okay in there too? The tank is a tall tank if that makes a difference.
Anyone?

Tags
6 gallon, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com