Worried!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rabbart

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi guys,

First thread, i have had fish in the past but recently got back into it properly so still learning.

Some background:

I have a 4ft 250lt tank being cycled 9 times an hour stocked with 9 africans, two juvenile plecos and a single rivulatus.

I was away for two days recently and during that time the temperatures locallly reached 36/37 degrees Celsius. So quite warm days which resulted in the loss of 5 fish (from 14 to 9 africans). I immediately took some water to the my regular aquarium shop this afternoon where I was told my ph was low (7.4 i try to keep it around 8/8.2), my nitrite was 0.5 ammonia was 0 and nitrate was 40ppm.

The fix:

I added a 400 l/h power head close to the top of the water to help with oxygenating the water.

I did a 50% water change and gravel vac (slightly overdosing the water ager cn before adding tap water, followed by adding cichlid salt) I then added the recommended dose of pH buffer over 6 hours.

Current status:

I tested the water and came up with the following:

pH: 8.2
Ammonia: 0.25ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 40ppm (could be slightly higher the colour difference between 40 and 80 is non existant to me)

My worry is the ammonia levels and potentially high nitrate levels. How do i get these to zero?

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom