Would keyhole fish live with these fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Banana mouse

Aquarium Advice Freak
IM not sure where to put this but putting it here seems appropriate.
I'm setting up a freshwater tank and iv just started to cycle it today. (fishles cycle)
I'm not sure how many litters the tank is but it's just under 100L I'm hoping to stock 2 keyhole fish with 6 neon tetras or 6 mountain minnows.
Would these fish get along?

Do you mean keyhole cichlids? If so, IMO one would be fine, but I personally wouldn't do 2 just because of space. JMO. If you picked a smaller cichlid like Bolivian rams or the dwarf striped cichlid, then IMO 2 would be fine.

What if I left the mountain minnows and just got two keyhole cichlids?

No, the issue is more the amount of available floor space. What are the dimensions of the tank? Keyholes are like 4 inches.

Ok, I am sorry, I should have asked the dimensions first. Yes, I think 2 keyholes are fine in there. Sorry, I assumed it was taller. Yes, that stock sounds fine.

Honestly don't worry it's fine :) I'm just wondering would you class my tank as understocked with the 6 mountain minnows and the key holes?

btw I'm not 100% about mountain minnows I'm looking at similar species at the moment

A fish I like that swims a bit higher than neons and keyhole is harlequin rasboras. Another cool one is pearl danios or purple passion danios. :)

I like Danios I'm buying some Monday to go with my tiger barbs :D iv seen the 'Vietnamese cardinal minnow' that's a good looking one :)

Say I was to forget the keyholes and I only have the mountain minnows how many could I have roughly?

Well, even if you have the keyhole, I would still say start with 6 minnows and see how it looks. You can always add more later if the water parameters hold up well and all the fish get along.

Back
Top Bottom