PRL - Autumnsky's next shrimp adventure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Very nice update Autumn. As you said you freeing space and thinking to have another caridina species then I suggest to go for Taiwan Bees and as you must have known that you can keep all sorts of Taiwan bees in same tank without fear of mixed shrimps or mischlings as they carry own genes and no need to cull any. You water parameters are ideal. You like red with white. So red pandas have intense red or red king kings too. More striking red than prl. Also extreme blue bolts are very nice looking too.

Yes, you mention some very beautiful shrimp - and some very expensive ones. I saw 2, a pair of fishbone Pintos for sale last week but it wasn't in my budget at the moment. I have some sick fish I am trying to get well and that actually is all the spare time I have with maintaining the other tanks.

Still trying to reduce workload for keeping the fish and shrimp. Small tanks have advantage of easy and quick water changes. Can do in 5 minutes for a simple pwc. Not including cleaning up glass or dead plant leaves, etc. But so simple. The big tanks so much effort. Still reviewing different methods for auto water changes. Since all the tanks are in different places and sizes and some SW and FW all makes one type auto water change system too complicated and not a one solution problem so far. Costs are something I try to keep moderate to low. Or at least reasonable.

Of course reasonable to me may not be someone else's idea of reasonable. :)

Yes, you mention some very beautiful shrimp - and some very expensive ones. I saw 2, a pair of fishbone Pintos for sale last week but it wasn't in my budget at the moment. I have some sick fish I am trying to get well and that actually is all the spare time I have with maintaining the other tanks.

Still trying to reduce workload for keeping the fish and shrimp. Small tanks have advantage of easy and quick water changes. Can do in 5 minutes for a simple pwc. Not including cleaning up glass or dead plant leaves, etc. But so simple. The big tanks so much effort. Still reviewing different methods for auto water changes. Since all the tanks are in different places and sizes and some SW and FW all makes one type auto water change system too complicated and not a one solution problem so far. Costs are something I try to keep moderate to low. Or at least reasonable.

Of course reasonable to me may not be someone else's idea of reasonable. :)
Yeah water changing is big task specially in your case because you manage many tanks. You are from USA so many water changing systems available with your local tap input. For me its hard to manage even three tanks. Lol.

Yeah water changing is big task specially in your case because you manage many tanks. You are from USA so many water changing systems available with your local tap input. For me its hard to manage even three tanks. Lol.

Having systems available and figuring out how to get them to work logistically, aesthetically, and cost efficiently is a whole different story. And it isn't really my strong set of abilities so i have to work on it even harder! From thinking it through to actually installing it. I am capable but have no experience, just observations and others descriptions.

Either way a very big project, or couple of projects due to the SW & FW tanks.

It does seem worth thinking through more seriously because of the time savings - forever after installation.

My initial plan looks implausible due to construction of the house in the space I thought I could run piping, there are many 2x4 (wood pieces) blocking the path I thought was empty. Maybe a new thread for discussion.

Had thought that would be a possibility but a couple things came up and might not be able to make that happen. But a slight possibility. The spare room got very plush carpet installed instead of the sheet vinyl I had thought would be better. :eek:

Oer, that is tricky. Going to have to think on options [emoji4] The rental is similar - fish tank fine but must be on tiles.

LOL, let's see if this shows up correctly as I typed it below. (I doubt it) EDITED and NO, did not show spacing correctly

Spare room has a bathroom, is next to utility room and has a big space for a tank opposite wall from plumbing, under the windows

outside
x [ ]
xtub___xsink___ [ ]
______________[ ]
utility room [ spare room here ]
.........xxxxx [ ]
___, ,________[__________, ,______]
hallway
,________________________,___,______

LR...>
ends>
here >

72g>
.....>

...E
N - S
...W

Anyhow, end of LR is across from the hallway from the utility room and there are two false wall archways - one in hall next to the utility room and the other in the LR also across from the one in the hall.

The electrician ran conduit with wiring to the outside for something else and the archways were filled with wood structure to create the archways and not empty as I had hoped. Much drilling and holes in the long walls for the drill extensions. He was annoyed. (I don't really know about building houses).

In theory at the north edge of the utility room would be a straight line to the fish wall which is at the south end of the LR for the water and the outside wall /outside would be at the end of the theorized line.

Other way to think of it:
North end of Utility room with water and electrical
parallel hall
parallel South end of LR /fish tank wall
parallel outside

Maybe a pic later or new thread - but I do not have time this week to set it up on a new thread.

EDITED: Tried to adjust it but that didn't work either.
Just disregard - the above was a failed attempt
YIKES!!! and is a massive pile of confusing!

Last edited:
Lol Autumn i am immensely confused. Don't understand a thing. Sounds like difficult procedure. Hope you find out some way.

I forgot to mention about fishbone pintos. The breeder here never carry them because of the price. He won't find a buyer. They are just super expensive shrimps. Actually even if i was too rich to afford i don't think its good to spend this amount on a shrimp. Better to donate that money lol. I mean some kinds are ridiculously expensive. I understand the time and effort required to produce such quality breed but still i think too expensive.

The fishbone pattern are just harder to breed out to that really sharp fishbone pattern and with good white, they get so many other's instead. With massive numbers breeding more will start being available.

Maybe breeders will find the answer eventually.

The fishbone pattern are just harder to breed out to that really sharp fishbone pattern and with good white, they get so many other's instead. With massive numbers breeding more will start being available.

Maybe breeders will find the answer eventually.
Yeah. I read and asked and its mainly the time required to achieve that pattern and back and forth selective breeding. I hope they available at a reasonable price some day soon.

Discussion of the sad losses of PRL a few weeks back

A quick summation is I lost about 150 of about 177 PRL Shrimp.

This gut wrenching event happened several weeks ago.

After a review of all things, over and over and over again, the only thing I can identify is there was something poisonous in the city water like a rinse out/flush of the lines.

There was effect on my Angelfish tank as well which were the only tanks which I had used tap water in, and the only detriments.

In overview, as always I do a small pwc and usually a bit larger one. 12G tank.

Smaller is about a 1 gallon pitcher - larger is 1-3 gallons but usually ~2G.

On the larger pwc, I am usually scooping out Duckweed and it just keeps coming. Remove the 1st gallon, then the 2nd and usually add back the 1st 1G amount and if there is too much Duckweed or I have time, will do a one more gallon removal. Add back in 1 gallon and then the last.

Pretty much always like that and usually 2G.

I had missed the 1 gallon small pwc that week because of being busy.

So there seemed like more Duckweed than usual.

After removing ~ 2 gallons from Duckweed removal, I added in one gallon of water. Noticed a big increase in activity very active as if roaming around after pwc and breeding behavior.

By the time I was 2/3 done scooping duckweed into the next gallon pitcher they had started to group in clusters and banging into the glass and each other. Completely uncharacteristic of any good situation in a tank.

I added in Prime in case there was something wrong.

I always add Prime first to the bucket or pitcher before filling to avoid any mistake like that. I usually add more than the Chloramine dose - not stingy with it.

But who knows.

The fish were gasping and starting to turn sideways and upside down. In a matter of seconds to minutes I was terrified to see what was happening. I added in a new gallon of water as it seemed there was a lack of O2. Even though the filter was running.

Shrimp were clumping into bunches in apparent near death and looking like death.

I had a 5G of bottled water for the machine dispenser sitting in there. Again Dosed with more Prime, and threw the 5G into a clean bucket and 2/3 filled it and some into the other bucke and began removing everything I could get from the tank, like stones plants and rocks into one bucket.

All this took just a few minutes, and I tried to scoop out shrimp but they were handfuls of dead shrimp by then. So I scooped out any which looked like possible dead only into one container and the other - any which was any sign of life even upside down ones twitching, into the bottled water bucket with some Java Fern and Plants.

Almost NOTHING I thought had made it. There seemed about 6 shrimp moving around. That tiny 12G tank being a Fluval EDGE with very small opening made the recovery a little bit slower.

I finished getting all stones out and there were many!!! And the plants, - it was jam packed like a jungle, thick moss, Subwassertang, and plants, large floating mass of small Water Wisteria, a big clump of Mini Butterfly, more moss encrusted on the DW and stones.

Torn down and decimated in a matter of a few minutes.

Scooped out all remaining water and substrate, went into a tub and let to settle there were 3 MTS which survived. Later rinsed it with about 15 buckets of treated water to clean and tested the substrate with Ghost shrimp to see if it was alright.

2 Ghost Shrimp lived for 12 hours and several days. So I believe the larger shrimp was over stressed, as she was berried & was the one that died after 12 hours. The one after several days not too sure had a tiny bubbler in the container for air and a sprig of Java fern and a sprig of moss plus a tiny Micro Anubias plant, and fed a shrimp pellet 2x - the kind that are the size of a shrimp eye. Think, that the substrate was okay.

All the big rocks got set on a table, plants were dipped and thrown into a new tote. After the recovery of the shrimp bodies, all the questionable shrimp maybe one was alive. In the other container was one and in the plant bucket a couple.

Fish mostly made it, lost one, and one flopped out of a plant while moving them over, I think fell to the floor and was found a bit later in a little puddle and of water on the floor alive and maybe made it too.

Counted the LIVE shrimp and there were 27 in total.

I rough counted dead bodies and there were about 150. Previously had rough counted live ones the week or so before and figured about 165. This wouldn't include super tiny babies lost from counts, hiding in the moss and plants.

It was a hellish panic nightmare. Not knowing what was the problem.

Sick, distraught, traumatized, dying inside, incredulous, I just do not know, but one of the very most awful things in fish keeping ever to have handfuls of shrimp just dying in your hands.

Just a bit after the hell of the tank catastrophic losses, I was thinking it was possibly the new container of Prime. I went over to the Angel tank in time to see them starting to swimming sideways. There weren't really words to describe this.

Grabbed another 5G bottled water and put it into a bucket and scooped out all the fish. 3 Angels and 2 catfish from the 46G.

By morning one Angel had died and the other Silver which had been already having illness issues over the other few months died a couple days later.

The last Koi Angel seemes to be much better and the 2 Spotted Raphael Catfish are okay. One is about 7 years old and the other is a small/still young baby one.

Ran Polyfilter to see what might have been the issue and still not positive. There was iron, no other like copper.

Also bag of carbon.

The 46G tank runs a 5G Fluval FX-5.

Did a feeder shrimp test on that too and it was alright.

After finding it didn't have any toxins. Fish went back in.

PRL Shrimp are doing okay the plastic tub is full of plants.

New build for them in the next 2 weeks, Either a 12G long bookshelf or a Mr. aqua 12G I already have or a brand new 12G Edge. Stay tuned.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
After determining that the new bottle of Prime was fine, more testing.

Poisoning was the suspect.

I kind of ruled out a pH crash as the 50G of water in the 46G plus 5G in the filter were only topped off with about 2.5-3G of water. In my opinion would not have caused a pH crash.

Anyhow I am not able to trust the water supply really any longer and am looking for a larger RO type filter or figure if using my small one makes sense.

~~~~~~~~~~

As it sits right now, I have a plastic tote with the HOB filter running on it like it were a tank. Feeding sparingly.

There are the possibilities of tanks mentioned. There is a tank manufacturing wholesaler a couple hours away and can save a lot of money on buying a tank that way. So I am wondering to upgrade the SW 2 nanos and use the Mr. Aqua 12 rimless for the PRL.

I found I can get a brand new glass tank for half of the cost of a new 12G Edge tank, but likely rather need the other new parts - light and filter (and new white plastic to match my stand) as well should just buy a brand new set up if going in that direction.

There is a nick and a tiny chip on this 12G Edge tank and it was purchased used with the tiny chip, (not any integrity issue) and I nicked the front with a stone that slipped a few years back. Never got any bigger or anything also tiny.

It took me awhile to be able to put this all down. I mentioned it before in what did you do with your tank today thread.

There are 3 water districts that run our water out of the mountains. I was told it is not unusual at this time of year to clear/flush lines, kill algae and other very healthy treatments for water to keep us all safe - Yummy. But likely not safe for inverts.

Also no bug sprays, lotions, suntan lotion/sunscreens, soap, flea meds or any other thing of that nature.

Last edited:
Very sorry to hear that. That is definitely a lot of livestock to lose and even worse to not know why it even happened. Good luck with the new setup and of course post pics when its done! :)

OmG Autumn that's heartbreaking. I am extremely sad to hear this. Any possibility of a ph crash or even amonia spike or anything would not kill them instantly and specially how they behaved. Your guess is right. Something toxic came to water that day. Well I have no words to describe how sad i feel right now to hear it. Its huge money loss and even if we ignore the material loss part i know how much you loved them. You don't keep shrimps like other people keep. You keep them because you love them and find them cute to look at doing there shrimp tasks.

Well you can go RO and buy a good shrimp reminilizer but i found another solution. I am using bottled water. It has a gh of 5. Tds of 120 and ph of 7 which buffers down to 6 by my substrate and wood. You can buy water which has low kh. Here many waters i tested. Some had kh of 4 but i found one with 1 kh. Its the ideal crystal water parameters and you don't need to do the hasel to reminilize water and keep track of tds and things. For RO water you have Aquafina bottled water sold in US having 0 tds. Means it Ro water. You can use that for top offs. Just saying as a temporary solution for now. Its a 12 gallon so bottled water won't cost too much. Also shrimps don't need frequent water changes. You can top of with Aquafina or Ro water. However if you use Aquafina please check tds listed on bottle. In UAE where i live Aquafina is different than what is sold in US. Here they add necessary minerals and tds is 120 here for Aquafina. Again very sorry about this loss. Hope you will have again a thriving big colony of the gorgeous prl and you ll be sitting enjoying your coffee watching them in a cosy winter.

At that initial point in the day I thought I had about 6, so finding 27 brought me up some from the pit of despair.

Thank you for the kindness of your words Kashif314.

I have come to terms in the loss, not that once I set up the new tank, I won't have times of missing them when I see it so empty in comparison to before.

But as you say perhaps 6 months and I will see them breeding and multiplying again.

I peek into the top of the plastic opaque organizing tote, which is their temporary home, and see them scampering around looking pretty happy.

Last week started a tiny feeding of the foods I received last month right around the time of the losses. Since I was recovering from the awful disaster, I didn't want to be starting them on anything new. Too risky in not knowing how it affects the water.

These are the Shrimp King Sampler packs.
5 in 1 Kennenlern-Set contains
Mineral
Protein
Complete
5 leaf mix
Snow Pops (I have a different brand of these already)

First tiny bit I gave them was the 5 Leaf. One evening I saw a few in the front and thought it would be a good time. Added a small portion of a pellet.

Watched and NONE went towards it but kept picking away at the leaves they were on when I dropped it in. One shrimp came from under the Java Fern Leaves and stopped a few inches away and started picking at the leaves of the tank plants NOT the food I added.

I watched staring for some excitement and in 5 minutes time not a one ate it. One did jump over the top of the pellet piece and continued off.

Maybe it took time to dissolve. After about a half hour I did see one shrimp right next to it. Since it was late I went to bed.

The next morning I didn't see it anymore. 2mm size bit

The next one I tried was a similar size of Protein, a few days ago. The shrimp did seem to be a little more interested and two went to the pellet bit. It went into the leaves out of sight and I didn't see if they ate it. I would assume so. It had good reviews.

Also in the past weeks I have feed them lightly of their normal foods. I added a little tiny amount of Bacter AE the 1x per week, in for the past 2 weeks.

So much difference feeding 27 shrimp and NO fish, compared with 13 fish and 175 shrimp.
~~~~~~~

The Chilis do not really seem to like the Spec V tank. They are always mostly hiding. It seems a couple will swim at the edges of the moss.

It has a different water flow to it. Not sure why they hide.

Their are a number of fry, and young Snakeskin Endlers in there, and a couple baby Mystery Snails and one tiny Dwarf Blue Brazos Crayfish, about a half inch long. His claw arms are about half his size. Though the pinschers are very tiny.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

My husband was wanting me to get the shrimp into a new actual tank asap, to hope I would feel happier. And because they are so special (to me). He has no interest for dwarf shrimp in general - not into aquaria stuff.

Also I would like to be able to watch them better as well.

Considering some new stock for the PRL to upgrade the group a little. So far still have been waiting for a breeder I have contacted to get a higher grade in, over a year now. There doesn't seem to be a great demand for them. Interests have popped up for newer varieties of shrimps like Pintos.

Right now though I am not seeking a breeding project due to my time being limited and not feeling I have enough for that kind of focus, I would of course enjoy some even more striking PRL shrimp to add to the tank.

>< SUBSTRATE Options <<<<<<>>>>>>

For now I have CaribSea substrate from the vendor at the Aquatic Gardeners Convention 2017, 8 pounds of it and that should be enough for a 12G tank.

BUT, the question is, do I WANT that kind. My tap water was what I was using before and I didn't really need to further reduce the pH, though it was okay if it did. But no longer as I will be using RO/DI and remineralizing. Have been just using RODI to fill evap and only did one pwc with bottled water.

If I get another bag of Amazonia Light, it will need to cycle for about a month before I will be content to put shrimp in, or at best a couple weeks to make sure the filter is at full BB function.

Since I have been only very lightly feeding, it is probable that a bunch of BB have been starving or died. I'm not positive how the BB live their life cycle.

The Amazonia Light is sitting outside in a plastic tote and didn't kill the Ghost shrimp, though I might try a couple test (not PRL or Caridina / Maybe Amano so I can see to get them back out) shrimp. Some say the buffering substrates lose their strength after about a year. Not that I would think of changing substrate every year either.

Will check for a few more options. Know of Brightwell Aquatics FlorinVolcanit Plant Substrate. It happens to be on sale right now.

~~~~~ TANK possibilities

As for the TANK I will need to cover this more later.

12G new bookshelf
12G New Edge in white
12G Mr. Aqua presently filled with my 12G SW nano stuff
12G low iron tank has broken bottom rimless needs to be fixed which I already own.

What is with all the 12G tanks?!!!????

Thanks for the update. Will read in detail and will reply soon.

Thanks a lot for the update and glad to know you at least have some relief and survivors are more than you expected. Yes they ll breed and in six months you ll be having a thriving colony. You can forget about that painful incident and take it as new excitement and challenge. Now baby shrimps will give you more happiness then it was before. So just imagine you are starting new.

About food they will like shrimp king complete. I used this food. But they never go nuts for shrimp king brand even though it is said to be the best in market. Proteine one shrimp loves more but again it should be minimal unless many berried shrimps. Keep us updated about foods. Also once shrimps are used to a certain food they may show some hesitation for new food.

Not good news about chilis. Maybe they are just accomodating thereselves to new conditions. Hope they settled in soon.

And glad to know your husband is concerned. So sweet of him. I wish if you could see my wife's eyes when i buy more shrimps lol.

I don't know much about substrates and i also read about substrate diminish buffering after old and specially if tap water is used. Well if you use a new substrate you ll need to wait. Also i heard normal Amazonia buffers good than Amazonia light. Crystals need anything below 7. I seen even top breeders keep them at 6.4 or 6.8 which is very easy to avhieve if you have anything to buffer even driftwood or leaves will do that job.

About which shrimps to choose. If you like PRL then you must go for them. Taiwan Bees are very gorgeous too but really they are not easy to keep. Extremely sensitive. You can't change water even after two weeks. Every time i changed even if 15 percent water next day finds one die atleast. I will touch them again after few months. Red king kongs have striking red and a good choice but I think you go for the prl since you have experience about them already. Right now you can't afford experimenting with new shrimps. Once you get a nice prl colony you can try and introduce a couple of Taiwan bees. Even if they interbreed its not a problem. If you strictly want to keep prl line then just go with them or you can go for high grade crystals which do look like prl and later you can experiment with Taiwan bees too. You will get both taiwan bees and crystals with solid red if they interbreed. I have now three mosura king kongs. One blue bolt and one extreme blue bolt with my crystals. Will see how it goes.

About tanks i don't have much idea about brands too. I am sure you ll pick the best tank possible.

Keep us posted about the revival. Good luck.

Thank you for the encouragement.

Yes, it is really starting new. I will be happy / content to just see the colony grow again.

Will likely message the seller I talked to at the beginning of the year about a higher grade group of maybe 6-10 new PRL shrimp.

After taking a look around, the most easy to find breeders there weren't really any better for sale (when I looked the last couple weeks).

I am imagining most hobby breeders are keeping the best ones they breed and trying to better their breeding line.

It seems there are not very many PRL being offered around here. It is most annoying to see the pictures sellers post of their shrimp and you can see SS to SSS in the group, but in the description of the shrimp they are selling to you, it indicates S grade.

One thing I was learned yesterday from an older you tube video from Flip Aquatics, was that the oldest PRL shrimp will start to lose color, so as I was thinking the one in the picture I mentioned having some light spots were likely due to old age, and why she had really nice babies.

All my tiny newly hatched babies had distinct bright white and nice red on the body from the time they were just like a little dot.

Beware of the breeders saying they will color up as they get older, which would indicate CRS, in my opinion. I saw an ad posted online, hobbyist seller of "PRL" saying that just today.

It is in the 90-100+F (32-38+C)'s right now with summer and I wouldn't have the shrimp shipped unless it was overnight arrival. Waiting til the weather cools will be fine with me.

Will be thinking over all the decisions this week, maybe even next week.

>><<Just got the email that all my ADA substrate additives for the nano sized tank and the 2 different brands/ combinations, sample packages of foods have arrived in my post box, will need to check it out.

Updates will continue. Obviously everyone's shrimp could have different tastes for different foods.

Thanks a lot and yes i know color up is not happening in case of crystals. They are more bright as juveniles and lose color with old age. Prl and crs same in this. I hope you got your PRLs. My supplier and breeder have PRL Vband in stock but shipping from middle east to US is not a good idea specially in this weather. Also you are right on display they post and breathtaking shrimp pic but when you buy its a different story. I seen some cases where people are cherry shrimp culls even. As in any business some are honest and some not.

Also I see shrimps are twice or thee times expensive in US. So that prl colony accident is a loss to your wallet as well. In my case high grade crs and pedigree prl looks same to me really and i heard they breed true. Just few times golden bee which can be culled but i find golden bee very beautiful and infact searching for them.

Ok thanks and keep us posted about your venture

Agreed.

Yes could have sold the PRL for a good amount.

Yes, also really like all the colors of the Golden Bee. There is a mango sunset orange color not all that color just like the under tone like this but a little more color than this pic. The lfs had a display tank next to the cash register /not for sale at that time, with about 6 of them and they were called some fun common name but lfs guy said they were a golden bee color variation.
Golden Bee Shrimp / 6 + 2 Free - Alpha Pro Breeders

Back
Top Bottom